Thin film OSL shader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
    Instead of adding this to the VrayMtl (if folks are worried about clutter), how about having this as a new VrayTexture that ships with Vray?
    I second that!
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I third it. Although I'd rather see it inside the VRayMtl itself. F*** clutter. This is professional software where you just have to know what buttons to push and what checkboxes to set to achieve your goal. If you want a very beginner-friendly version just make a VRay-Lite or something similar.
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Art48,
        What would be the advantage of having it in the VrayMtl? Personally I would rather see a clearcoat / secondary reflection section added to the VrayMtl, but that's just me.

Comment

Vlado et al.,

As you consider adding clearcoat to the VrayMtl, it would be worth taking a look at the PxrSurface shader. It has a lot of physically based parameters included for this, including Energy Compensation, Iridescence, Thin Film Thickness, Layer thickness, and Absorption Tint.
          https://rmanwiki.pixar.com/display/R...ce-Iridescence

I would add this to th VrayMtl for purposes of physically correct energy conservation. As Art48 says, awesome > clutter.

Comment

I just tried this and it is awesome! Thanks Vlado!!!!

My two cents, I'd definitely add it to the VRayMTL. However, if you are going to start doing a more complex material for VRay 4.0 or something, something that is more "Advanced user" sort of speak, then maybe you can create a second type of VRay Material and eventually I'll guess the one will fade away and the most used will win and stay.

Comment

Testing this out with the scene Vlado posted (Vray Next in Max 2020) I am wondering if I'm missing something: I do not see any parameters for the OSL texture. There is no shader parameter rollout and no apparent way to edit the thickness etc. Is there something I need to do to expose those controls in Max?
              Last edited by simmsimaging; 07-04-2019, 09:48 PM.
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
              e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

This works fine for me actually. Can you show me a screengrab of the material editor?

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Vlado. I went back to the file to grab a screen shot and now I can see it. There is also a rollout for OSL include Paths that wasn't showing up before too. I am *reasonably* certain that it was not just me failing to scroll down far enough - that was the first thing I checked. Anyway, only thing that changed is a reboot of the computer in between. Seems solved for now anyway.
                  Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                  e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

loving this shader but i'm having a few crashes using it (similarly with the osl glass shader - http://www.rensheeren.com/blog/osl-archglass/ but only now we've updated from 3ds max 2016 to 2019 - it didn't crash at all in 2016). any pointers or ideas i can look at to help? at the moment either in new scenes or adding this osl shader to current proects i get random crashes at the point i hit render.

Comment

Working...
                    X