Sampling tutorial for V-Ray 3.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
    Excellent video, thank you! I'm going to try this on a job and see what happens.

a real-world scene for a challenging scenario such as a space with large flat areas of glossy materials plus lots of fine details such as trees/planting/grass, with complex lighting. It would be great to see how you'd approach this.
    Yup, or a shop interior with hundreds of little objects, many lights, glossy reflections everywhere ...

I'll give this "MSR method" a try - thanks a lot Vlado for taking the time to make this little video
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

Comment

what is MSR?

Comment

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
        what is MSR?
        Min Shade Rate
        Nicolas Caplat
        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

One request - it would be great, after you've covered the basics, to run through a real-world scene for a challenging scenario such as a space with large flat areas of glossy materials plus lots of fine details such as trees/planting/grass, with complex lighting. It would be great to see how you'd approach this.
          If you have a scene that I can use, I would be glad to do it. I could come up with some scene, but "challenging" means different things to different people. It might also be a good test for something else that I'm working on

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Last edited by vlado; 22-07-2015, 04:58 AM.
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            If you have a scene that I can use, I would be glad to do it. I could come up with some scene, but "challenging" means different things to different people. It might also be a good test for something else that I'm working on

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I'll have a look through and see if something could be used. The job I'm working on right now would be perfect but that's under a heavy NDA unfortunately.
            Alex York
            Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
            www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

The job I'm working on right now would be perfect but that's under a heavy NDA unfortunately.
              Same here ... maybe could I still provide you the scene, but it shouldn't be shown completely, maybe only crop renderings could be shown (where any identifiable elements would be out of frame), that could be enough to see sampling problems. Anyway, I'd really like to know your sampling workflow to get such a scene rendering with a good quality/time ratio If you're interested, please provide me the adresse to send file to.

Thanks again.
              Nicolas Caplat
              www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Alternatively I imagine one of the asset library companies would be happy to donate a scene, such as Evermotion or Vizpark etc.
                Alex York
                www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Alternatively I imagine one of the asset library companies would be happy to donate a scene, such as Evermotion or Vizpark etc.
                  Good idea. It would be better than nothing I guess.
                  Nicolas Caplat
                  www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Well, I've bought Archinteriors 33 and 37. Do you like any of those scenes? I can use one of them for a video tutorial.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      Well, I've bought Archinteriors 33 and 37. Do you like any of those scenes? I can use one of them for a video tutorial.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      OK, great ! A few ideas:
                      - vol 33, scenes 06 or 08 could be interesting
                      - vol 37, scenes 01 or 09

I can't wait to see your method

Thanks a lot !
                      Nicolas Caplat
                      www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Both good examples but I would make sure there's something like a load of dense 3D trees outside, for example, and maybe a dense interior shag fur rug or something.

By the way, I'm having a lot of success with this new universal method. Thank you!
                        Alex York
                        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

wow! awesome...just watch the video from facebook, thank you vlado.

Since my company still using vray 2.40.04, can i set the global subdiv to "0" as you did in the video?
                          because i don't MSR setting in vray 2.40.04
                          Best regards,
                          Jackie Teh
                          --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.07 build 32575]
                          AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
                          Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
                          YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Originally posted by jackieteh View Post
                            wow! awesome...just watch the video from facebook, thank you vlado.

Since my company still using vray 2.40.04, can i set the global subdiv to "0" as you did in the video?
                            because i don't MSR setting in vray 2.40.04
                            You could do this yes, but then you will have to increase your max AA substantially as it will be doing most of the work. Also, keep in mind that if you're using IRmap in 2.4, setting global subdivs to 0 will heavily affect your IRMap. Vlado did mention that for future builds, IRmap will not be affected by global subdivs of 0. But since you're on 2.4 the future builds doesnt help you here. Also, BF in 2.4 is a lot slower, so you may have limited success in "this workflow"
                            Kind Regards,
                            Morne

Comment

Thanks vlado, great stuff

Comment

Mome, thank you for your explain, i am clear now, better stick to my currrent workflow untill my company upgarde to 3.2
                                Best regards,
                                Jackie Teh
                                --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.07 build 32575]
                                AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
                                Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
                                YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Working...
                                X