Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials max depth 8

Hi

Can someone explain me why do You changed the max depth parámeter from 5 to 8, i remember for an update for Maya that this parámeter changed some time ago for standard material Even if it is a Wood or plástic or a fabric, do You see any improvements with this new parámeter 8 bounces from max depth in reflection and refraction , and probably i should increase My own materials from 5 to 8, i use 20 for glass and water materials and it looks better and i don't get really excesive times.

Thanks

The general rule is that the higher the depth, the better the quality, but at the expense of render time.
    The previous default of 5 was too low for some materials, for example glass, and we increased it to 8 (I believe when V-Ray 5 came out). Back then, we made tests and concluded that it wouldn't hurt the performance, but would increase the quality.
    10 or higher is actually better for glass, yes. We didn't want to increase the default above 8, since it worked for most cases. In many cases you won't see any significant slowdown with values upwards of 8 or 10 and this is perfectly fine, especially if you don't have many refractive (and/or reflective) objects one behind another.

That's pretty much it, no other special reasons that I can think of right now.
    Hope that helps.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
    X