Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray chaos cosmos feedback and questions

Hi stetso

I have been playing with some trees, if i decide to merge the tree to see the textures and play a bit with it, does vray gpu takes more vram or ram merging the asset?

One of the things that i have observed is that the trunk and the branches does not have map in the reflection slot

Using the diffuse map with color correction to desaturate the map in the reflection slot gives better result.

The branches and the trunk looks better, not so much specular and reflection and a bit detailed.

The trunk and the branches in real life dont bright too much is kind of more matte with a bit of reflection.

Another thing is that the back of the leave is very desaturated.

In real life the back of the leave looks desaturated and less bright with less color

But the tree assets looks too desaturated, i almost dont see any kind of green color i think the difference in both is too much, the back of the leave looks like is almost dead kind of grey with a bit of green

Another thing that i have seen is that the leave normal map is 1

I think is too much 1 for a normal leave map usually the leave of a tree does not look too strong is more sutil it has a very small amount of bump.

This should be like .375 or .5, but 1 is too much

This great amount does not help to see nice reflections and specular in leaves.

Another thing that i have seen is that a tree usually does not has branches in the very low part of the tree, it has bronces of course but not at 1 m or .5 m the branches begin in the 1.5m of the tree or 2m.

Chaos cosmos is great and i really like it but i have seen some details that can be improved to has better assets for everyone

I have done some gardens here in México, i love and like gardens.

I have bought really a lot of trees, ferns and some plants.

So here is my advice about what i have seen here in vray chaos cosmos and what i see in real life, in real gardens.

Thanks Stetso
    Best regards

Luis Gamiño
    Last edited by luisgamino2; 18-09-2023, 09:53 PM.

Hi stetso

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230919_155241~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	1191137 Here is the new paperbark 2 i merged and change a bit the materials, for me this looks like a nice 3 a very healthy tree.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230919_155258~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	1191138 Here is the same tree paperbark 2 with out merge just as it is when you import it from chaos cosmos, this tree looks like is sick, something like is diying, it does not look right.

I forgot to mention that i used the multi-sub to give some kind ramdom colors to the leaves just a little bit to play with it and looks better since in real life a tree never has 2 leaves in the same color.

I want to share with you stetso this example since sometime ago i noticed some strange things in trees like the colors and the bumps.

Same settings for both and same HDRI

Thanks again

Comment

Hi Luis,

Thank you very much for your continuous feedback. I appreciate it.

Would you mind attaching your scene with “Paperbark Maple 002” (together with the HDRI) - the results you are getting are looking really strange.

As for the V-Ray GPU RAM/VRAM:
      Which Host application are you merging the trees in?
      If you are using SketchUp/Rhino, after merging they'll be represented as Proxy Mesh and there will be no difference in the RAM/VRAM usage.
      The disadvantage is that after merging you lose connection to the Cosmos Browser and some of its benefits (e.g. download of missing assets, relinking, updates, LOD switching).

And in terms of materials & geometry - as you might know, we are working with content creators to bring these models to Cosmos and their material & geometry setup may vary (more or less).
      However, I'll pass your feedback to our 3D team and we'll see what can be implemented on our end.

Best regards,
      Tsetso
      Tsvetan Milanov
      Chaos

Comment

Hi stetso

I packed both files, how can i send you the scene?

I dont have too much experience sending files

PD. The HDRI that i use is from Adan Martin 3d collective, he has a really nice HDRI So this is normal, the geometry is OK, but the material are not good the bitmaps needs some small changes.

The geometry is not fine, trees dont have branches at .5 mts or 1 mts from the low part of the tree.

Also i worked a little bit more the normal maps, the diffuse map and the reflection map

Thanks

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230920_124423~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	989.5 KB ID:	1191227 Please look at this Stetso branches does not begin in the low part, the 3 paperbark maple has branches at the very low part this is not normal

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230920_124430~3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	943.6 KB ID:	1191228 Here is a real tree as you see branches are in upper part of the tree not in the begining of the tree, sometimes i cant use small plants because the low branches only disturb the other plants

Also dont forget that vray for sketchup users and rhyno users cant modify the asset while vray for max and maya can

I would really like to take off the branches at the low part of the paperbark maple tree.

Last edited by luisgamino2; 20-09-2023, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Luis, you can use the "Upload Attachments" or "Upload from URL" button here in the forum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	forum_upload.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.5 KB ID:	1191268

As for the branches - I understand your needs but keep in mind that we (Chaos) are not the creators of these models, and therefore we do not have the right to make any kind of changes.
            What we can do is pass your feedback to the creator. Alternatively, you can contact them directly as well (to see who is the creator you need to open the detailed view of the asset).

Click image for larger version  Name:	creator.jpg Views:	0 Size:	352.6 KB ID:	1191266

Also, keep in mind that the same specie can look differently depending on the region where it grows.

Best regards,
            Tsetso​
            Last edited by tsetso; 21-09-2023, 12:39 AM.
            Tsvetan Milanov
            Chaos

Comment

Hi Stetso

I see and i understand your point about the rights of the creator, so this was a question i have some time ago.

When you bring some assets to vray users, did vray team check the materials of the asset???

Because i had bought some trees from globe plants and Grasswald 2 and i have observed their materials is not the Best, the geometry is nice, the bitmaps are great but sometimes i have see that those bitmaps needs some small changes like the diffuse, the normal map and the reflection slot.

So is this the same with chaos cosmos? Did you check materials when you bring these assets for us?

If vray team didnt check materials, well i have to merge a lot of objects to get better results.

This is something that i would like to know

Thanks Stetso

Comment

I cant send the files with the upload attachment it is taking a lot of minutes

I have to do things and this is taking a lot of time

Comment

But i have to say that i have found some issues with other assets i have decided to merge each one to see how things are going on.

If i can improve the asset great if not it is fine.

Comment

Hi Luis,

Yes, we are working on the materials when bringing assets to Cosmos.
                    However, what we do is more focused on the technical parameters so we can ensure performance & consistency across the renderers (e.g. V-Ray, Corona, Vantage).

But I understand your point about the visual aspect.
                    The tricky part is that these edits can be very subjective and scene-dependent.
                    So in the future, we'll investigate some options (maybe enable users to modify/override certain material properties without the need to merge the assets).

Best regards,
                    Tsetso
                    Tsvetan Milanov
                    Chaos

Comment

Hi Tsetso

The assets are fine, but if someone have time i think is better to merge the assets, i found issues with the diffuse back face of the leave, the normal map of the leave and the reflection slot of the leave, but rendering the tree as it is from chaos cosmos is ok, it is almost fine.

But if you dont have a deadline you can achieve better assets if you merge the asset and tweak a bit the bitmaps.

I always do that when i bought a tree or a plant from globeplants.

The only bad about the merge the asset is that i can not bring back from low aspect view to medium to see better the space.

Once you merge the assets you can not change from low to medium.

Is better that chaos cosmos bring the assets with no merge option, bring it with out it please, can be fast to edit assets and we dont loose the option to see the asset as medium.

Thanks

Luis Gamiño
                      Best regards

Comment

Working...
                      X