Curate the textures better please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curate the textures better please :)

A few little gripes re. the newer Cosmos materials, though also relevant to the existing ones.

I would suggest only including those materials which have good enough textures within them.
    I normally create my own or use those best available, though having these ready-made ones is sometimes just handy. Not as many of them currently are though.

As an example, all of the bricks that I looked at were pretty badly done, with clear errors in the map creation and seemingly no care given to tiling ability,
    a particular shocker being the one I attached, which is laughably amatuerish and unusable....just check out it's bitmap

It's of course great to have free stuff included, but not if much of it ends up being just a big unsorted load of stuff that those
    participating companies wanted to offload for free publicity or whatever - much like some of the atrocious Xfrog models from the 90s....great at that time but now?, not so much.

With reference to the 'unsorted' part; in the previous, now presumably deprecated 'Vray material browser', those materials were sorted to categories, whilst the Cosmos ones are just
    one long messy list. Even if, e.g. one filters for 'table' then rocks, metal flooring and other stuff shows up.
    Attached Files
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Hi fixeighted and thanks for your input.

The unsorted list of materials you observed was a temporary issue that was fixed shortly after this forum post.
    You should see the categories under the “Materials” section now and the “Filters” will show more appropriate results.

We understand that the quality of the textures may vary, but we believe that this might not be critical in all use cases.
    That being said we want to thank you for reaching out to us to share your feedback. We will keep your suggestions in mind for future updates to the Cosmos library.

Best regards,
    Tsetso
    Tsvetan Milanov
    Chaos

Comment

Have to agree with OP. Some of these assets are really bad.
      Perhaps adding a filter for 'basic' and 'high quality' if they are indeed intended for different use cases?

Comment

Hi Richard7666 ,

What are planning to do soon is introduce an option for users to mark assets they like, and see them in a list.
        Thus, it will be up users to decide which assets are are applicable to their use cases and which are not.

Our user base vary greatly in both use case and perception of quality, and taking this personalized approach might be the way to go.

Regards,
        Kalina Maneva
        Product Manager
        Chaos Cosmos

Comment

I would agree that there is a subjective aspect to perception of quality, however if, for example, there are 10 brick shaders and out of those ten, 2 are really very bad, then arguably no user would choose to use them,
          opting instead for those which are clearly better made

If the quality remains of a certain standard overall, then that also offers users, some of whom will be newer users, the opportunity to learn from the setup of these materials and be able to improve the quality of their work,
          rather than accepting a sub-standard option.
          I realise that these are free, so a bonus of sorts, though my point still stands I hope

Other than that, I can't imagine why the original creators would want to offer anything that shows them in a bad light...
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
            I would agree that there is a subjective aspect to perception of quality, however if, for example, there are 10 brick shaders and out of those ten, 2 are really very bad, then arguably no user would choose to use them,
            opting instead for those which are clearly better made

If the quality remains of a certain standard overall, then that also offers users, some of whom will be newer users, the opportunity to learn from the setup of these materials and be able to improve the quality of their work,
            rather than accepting a sub-standard option.
            I realise that these are free, so a bonus of sorts, though my point still stands I hope

Other than that, I can't imagine why the original creators would want to offer anything that shows them in a bad light...
            Yeah, I don't know how much benefit there is in a flat texture whacked in the diffuse slo tbht. Even for a beginner, it isn't helpful for learning etc. I understand someone doing quick look-dev could find them useful but beyond that I'm sort of stumped as to who the target userbase is for a lot of them.

Comment

Working...
            X