Cosmos Assets Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosmos Assets Missing

This is a common, but not frequent, issue I have with the Cosmos Assets.
    Opening an existing scene brings missing file warnings, almost crashes scene, V-Ray messages about failing...etc.

I found that for some reason, the assets have been renamed. Is this going to be something I need to watch out for in perpetuity, or was
    the name change accidental?

Thanks a lot

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-14 103121.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.9 KB ID:	1202006
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-14 104126.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	1202009 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-14 103036.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	1202008
    Attached Files

Yeah, they'll remove assets from Cosmos, and it has caused issues for me.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hi all

1. We don’t rename assets. Asset resources (textures, etc.) contain a hash in their names which is different for different versions of the asset. Assets have versions. Sometimes we publish updates, which is the case with this Sedum Plant 66-23. It has two versions (revisions).

2. We don’t remove assets, unless there's explicit request from a (ex-)partner to remove their assets. If I'm not wrong, this case occured only once in the history.

voltron7: There's a chance that you've created your scene a while ago, using the first revision of this asset, then updated this asset to its latest revision and explicitly deleted all old revisions of assets (to save disk space), or you deleted all downloaded Cosmos assets and then downloaded the new revision of this asset. How old is your scene?​

Comment

From this time last year

https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...1172043-assets

Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I don’t know why there isn't official statement from us in that topic. Apologies. I will escalate this.

Comment

As Hristo Chakarov mentioned - there could be some old scenes with old revisions that are problematic to restore.
            Still, there are some improvements possible and we will try to get them included with the next update.

Could you please specify the V-Ray version you are using and the creation date of the problematic scene, so we can do some checks?
            In any case, it will be very welcome if you can send us any scene where assets cannot be relocated/rebound.

Comment

It's happening to me today with a scene from 2023...The asset still exists in cosmos but the file name and/or path names are different. It's only an issue when a client needs an update, even from just a year old. But it is a very annoying issue...
              Thanks again!

Added: Current V-Ray version for Max2019, windows10
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-22 135217.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	1202798 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-22 135032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	1202799 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-22 135944.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	1202801 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-22 135842.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	1202800

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-22 144943.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1202805 Another example...same scene...names are changed.
                Thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

In this case (Lamp_Table_005) one map was removed from the asset folder...So, do I remove the missing map in the material editor, or??

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-22 145824.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1202807

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-22 145738.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1202809

Thanks.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. I've sent you a DM voltron7. V-Ray for Max should take care about downloading older Cosmos assets, but obviously something goes wrong here. I sent you instructions how to download the missing revisions in order to restore your scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by hristo_chakarov View Post
                      Sorry for the late reply. I've sent you a DM voltron7. V-Ray for Max should take care about downloading older Cosmos assets, but obviously something goes wrong here. I sent you instructions how to download the missing revisions in order to restore your scenes.
                      No problem, and thank you for responding!
                      Checking my PM...

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by hristo_chakarov View Post
                        I sent you instructions how to download the missing revisions in order to restore your scenes.
                        Why??? Why you send such information which can help a lot of people (including me) to single user only?

I just get this error:

Name:	image.png
Views:	104
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	1204053

What should I do???

It's late at night and the file I need won't open. I enter the forum and it turns out that information that could help me is sent only to a single user. It's absurd, isn't it?

Comment

This is just crazy. I have an old scene with a lot of outdated assets. I don't have these old resources on my local disk.
                          Newer versions are already available on comos servers. How can I replace old assets in the scene with newer ones from the Cosmos library?
                          I don't understand how you can not predict such an obvious case???​

Comment

Mnietek2707:

Why??? Why you send such information which can help a lot of people (including me) to single user only?
                            Because the instructions that I sent to that user are specific for them.

What should I do???
                            Send me a list of the missing assets. Just like the other user above did. Screenshots would be great so that I can see the missing paths. I will help you to restore your scenes.

I don't understand how you can not predict such an obvious case???​
                            We did, but:
                            1. this is not implemented in thevery first V-Ray for Max that include Cosmos Browser;
                            2. for some users/scenes downloading the older revisions does not work; the V-Ray for 3ds Max team is working on that.

Comment

I appreciate the effort, but the instructions are not working, so far. I wish there is a better/easier method that bizarre powershell commands. Couldn't there be a download link (as a sticky or something like it) for reported missing cosmos assets? Anyway, good luck to anyone involved/effected.

Comment

Working...
                              X