Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some plants are too dark (in my opinion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some plants are too dark (in my opinion)

Hello to all,

it seems to me that some plants are too dark and do not correspond to the preview visible in Cosmos Browser.

I know that a preview remains a preview and that it does not exactly reflect reality, but here, I find that there is a big difference and that the plants are not realistic.

Example : Indoor Plant 001 and Indoor Plant 009

Here is an example with Overcast lighting.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1152574
    Windows 10 - RTX 3090 - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 128 Go RAM
    Sketchup PRO 23.0.419 + V-Ray 6.20.02
    3DS Max 2024.2.1 + V-Ray 6.20.06
    Chaos Vantage 2.3.0
    GeForce Studio Ready Driver Version 546.01​

Dear DCHA34, hello.

Thank you for the example.
    In general it is related to the used lighting - as it is in real life.
    You mentioned Overcast Sky Model, so it shouldn't be perceived as unexpected.

To achieve different effects you could add more lights (especially to reinforce the plant representation), add corrections via Layers in the VFB or merge the assets and edit some of their materials.
    There are many possibilities, but all depends on the final result that you desire to achieve.

Best regards,
    TS
    Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
    3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Ive got to say, dropping some palm trees into a shot today, this has nothing to do with lighting. If you are mixing assets that have clearly come from different providers, then you can have wildly different values on your vegetation. I have some palm trees next to each other, one looks too bright and fake for my lighting, the one next to it looks almost black. Cosmos is great, but it feels like the assets weren't calibrated to each other before being added to the library.
      Website
      https://mangobeard.com/
      Behance
      https://www.behance.net/seandunderdale

Comment

I totally agree with what has just been said by seandunderdale
        Windows 10 - RTX 3090 - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 128 Go RAM
        Sketchup PRO 23.0.419 + V-Ray 6.20.02
        3DS Max 2024.2.1 + V-Ray 6.20.06
        Chaos Vantage 2.3.0
        GeForce Studio Ready Driver Version 546.01​

Comment

I agree that trees are really dark and it's make scene cheesy, nevertheless thanks a lot for the other amazing stuff I'm pretty sure trees will be more optimized in the future

Best Regards

Comment

Hi,
            As mentioned above, vegetation assets come from different vendors, converted from the originals to follow a certain shader graph standard for Cosmos.
            As such, there's bound to be a bit of a difference. As you can imagine, we can touch them up a bit, but we can't fundamentally change them compared to the vendor's original.
            Also, adjusting and updating them might suit the needs, workflow and scene setup of one user, but then get completely "broken" for another one, if this makes sense.
            That said, Cosmos Assets are not locked, so in SketchUp you can merge them, right click on the texture slot you want to adjust, and using the "Wrap In" option, add a color correction layer and adjust as needed.
            We'll discuss internally if we could make this adjustment process easier for Cosmos Assets.
            Thanks to all for the feedback.​
            Miroslav Ivanov
            Chaos Cosmos

Comment

Agreed_ I find almost all of the people come in with much too dark Gamma curves on their mapping as well. In every case I end up going in and setting the Diffuse map to us Inverse Gamma for the RGB transform and then to .8 Inverse Gamma (1.0 is washed out). This is often the case with plants as well. Come to think of it, many of the Cosmos assets have this issue but it's just more noticeable when it's organic I guess.
              Doug
              www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com/

Comment

Working...
              X