Scale resolution with export?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale resolution with export?

Hello. How do I scale the resolution, to say 50% when exporting a layer?

This would be really nice to have for quick previews or large renders.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
      Hello. How do I scale the resolution, to say 50% when exporting a layer?
      Bump. No help, Chaos Group?

Comment

Hi there, sorry for the delay.
        The way to do this currently is:
        1. select your layer
        2. go to "Transform" in the property panel
        3. Set a scale, f.e. 50%
        4. Set the mask resolution to the layer resolution (the new layer resolution is the transformed one)
        -- the easiest way to do it is to right-click on the mask resolution indicator above the timeline and select "Layer <resolution>"
        Click image for larger version

Name:	mask_resolution.png
Views:	243
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1159460
        5. Do File > Save Mask as Image (for stills) or File > Save Mask as sequence (for sequences and video).

Note that this will export your full composition (i.e. the "Mask"), but if you only have one layer - there's nothing to be careful for.
        If you up-scale, though, it's important to fit the image to the mask (easiest way again is to just use Scale and make sure not to offset, zoom or pan the layer).

As for convenience - I'm not sure how easy it would be to expose some resizing options at export, but if 50% is the common use-case, we could think of adding something like a "test resolution export" or similar. Does that sound OK? Are there more use-cases than exporting half-resolution for testing?
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
          Hi there, sorry for the delay.
          The way to do this currently is:
          1. select your layer
          2. go to "Transform" in the property panel
          3. Set a scale, f.e. 50%
          4. Set the mask resolution to the layer resolution (the new layer resolution is the transformed one)
          -- the easiest way to do it is to right-click on the mask resolution indicator above the timeline and select "Layer <resolution>"
          Click image for larger version

Name:	mask_resolution.png
Views:	243
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1159460
          5. Do File > Save Mask as Image (for stills) or File > Save Mask as sequence (for sequences and video).

Note that this will export your full composition (i.e. the "Mask"), but if you only have one layer - there's nothing to be careful for.
          If you up-scale, though, it's important to fit the image to the mask (easiest way again is to just use Scale and make sure not to offset, zoom or pan the layer).

As for convenience - I'm not sure how easy it would be to expose some resizing options at export, but if 50% is the common use-case, we could think of adding something like a "test resolution export" or similar. Does that sound OK? Are there more use-cases than exporting half-resolution for testing?
          Thank you for the response and explanation

I often have to convert an exr sequence of a plate at a lower res and as jpg so i get better playback performance when imported in Maya. Thats why there needs to be a export and scale function. But I’ll try your suggestion out today. Thanks

Comment

Thanks! We can think about making this easier in future releases. I'm adding this to our list of requests.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
            X