playback performance, caching disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playback performance, caching disabled

i guess i was hoping for better performance, ive no idea if there is some issue ive not understood: if i disable caching and hit play on a 4k png sequence, i get 1.4 FPS....

the frames are about 30Mb each... however my drive is a pair of pcie4 ssds in raid 0, sequential reads should be over 10Gb/sec.. theoretically only needs 750Mb/sec for 25fps. pc is a 64 core 3990 with 128gb ram. is there any hope for faster drive reads?

on a related note i get similar speeds when caching... it takes a while to load a 250 frame sequence. In DJV you can set multithreaded caching to use 32 threads and it loads much much faster, but still nowhere near realtime.

Caching definitely helps speed up the playback in Player.
    By default, player would keep about half of your system's memory for caching. You can change that and set it to the lowest value by right-clicking on this icon in the toolbar above the timeline:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	player_free_memory.png
Views:	160
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1159464

When playing through the cached frames, playback should be substantially faster compared to non-cached ranges.
    We made some improvements to playback speed in hotfix 1, so if you're on an older build - I'd suggest you give it a try with the latest one available on the website.

Let me know if this makes things any better.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
    X