Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not playing back smoothly

Hi,

we are testing the new player and every functionality seems pretty spot on. The only problem is, that we don't get smooth playback with at leastt 25 fps. this issue seems to be related to the window size of the player. on a windows workstation with two 4k monitors I am unable to play back full hd sequences 1:1 with a matching window size (I get around 16fps). with fullscreen playback, it seems a little better but also far from stable and smooth. resizing the window to a very small size seems to get fps in the 25+ range (but then it'll too small of course).

I did test this on a macbook pro (intel) as well which seems to work better even if the window is across the complete screen (runs at 25 fps). But when upping the fps to 50 the player will only get up to 27-29fps. Then, when resizing the window to only a fraction of the screen, it seems to be able to play back at the full higher framerate.

Can you tell if you have enough memory to cache enough of the sequence for a smooth playback?
    You can also check this option and set it to something low like 10% (it specifies how much memory is kept free for other processes).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mem_setting.png
Views:	460
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1137931
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

memory is not the issue. exact same thing plays smoothly on rv on the same machine. If I resize the window (and I mean the chaos player application window) framerate goes up (!). the bigger the window, the lower the framerate. this happens with every sequence/clip no matter the length or resolution. It also doesn't matter how much I see of the footage in the player (zoomed in/out, panned so it only show a fraction, etc.).

Click image for larger version

Name:	chaos_player_framerate_issue.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1137935

Comment

Right, got it. Thanks for the report, this gives us a good enough clue where the problem is and we'll work on that.
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Great! Hope this gets fixed soon because the rest of it is really awesome. But as long as it doesn't play back reliably we can't really use it.

Comment

I have an installation of Chaos Player 2.00.21 on windows 10 and windows 11. And I am experiencing the same issues as noted above. It seems like the entire player interface is very slow, even if dragging an empty window around the desktop. In comparison, Pdplayer 1.0.7.41 is very fast and has no playback issues. I hope it resolves soon; I do use the older version daily.

Comment

Yes, thanks for confirming. Are you on a 4K monitor as well?
              Alex Yolov
              Product Manager
              www.chaos.com

Comment

On one system, I have two screens connected with a resolution of 2560x1440, and the other is just a laptop with a 1080p screen, and the Player lags the same way on both systems. Both have a large amount of memory available, and both have high-end graphics cards in them.

Comment

another thing i see (on the macbook, might be the same on windows) is the more layers I load in, the lower the maximum framerate becomes. I am testing this with up to four 1920x1920 clips (prores 422) and playing back at 50fps. with one layer visible I reach about 30 fps (which is not great either) and loosing about 3-4fps with every additional layer until barley holding 25 fps.

Comment

yolov are there any updates on this issue? We would really like to use the player in production.

Comment

We have a pretty good idea why this is happening and it's the next thing on our list.
                      It will may take a little while to get it right, though.
                      I'll make sure to post here when we have something.
                      Alex Yolov
                      Product Manager
                      www.chaos.com

Comment

yolov great, thanks for letting me know. Is there an eta for the fix. We would really like to start using the player in production.

Comment

No ETA right now. We're working on it, but it's one of those things that may take 2 weeks, or it may take 2 months or more and we've only just started.
                          We need to get a few things rolling before we can do estimates on this.
                          Alex Yolov
                          Product Manager
                          www.chaos.com

Comment

understood. if you need any testing in the process just let m know.

Comment

Thanks, it will be very helpful to confirm whether we're doing this right.
                              I'll reach out once we have something.
                              Alex Yolov
                              Product Manager
                              www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                              X