Scrolling Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrolling Timeline

I find it troublesome that when you are manually dragging the active time bar in the timeline area to scrub frames, you have to keep your mouse hovering on top of that area. If the mouse goes too far up or down outside of that area, the active time indicator jumps back to the original frame and the window stops responding to mouse input. I'm coming from using DJV, where once you click (and hold) the timeline, it maintains your focus and responds to mouse scrubbing input regardless of where on screen your cursor is. More intuitive & easier to use IMO.
    | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Hmm, interesting point. I can share a few things about this:
    - when the mouse goes out of the timeline area while scrubbing, it should go back to the frame you started from. If without releasing the mouse the cursor lands on the timeline area again - you can resume scrubbing. You will be lost only if you release the mouse once you go outside the area.
    - you can also scrub by click-and-holding onto the preview area (where you see the sequence itself)
    - if you're scrubbing from the preview area, there's also a special action - if you scrub upwards - play forward will start, and if you scrub downwards, play backward will start.

Let me know if that helps in any way and if you still think we can improve something here.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

First test, looks like scrubbing in the preview area is going to be my preferred interaction, that way I don't have to perfectly move the cursor horizontally to stay within the Y bounds of the timeline. I think the other examples are still a more seamless end-user experience, but just using the preview area will work.
      | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

Working...
      X