Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color does not match for a MP4, Am I done it right

Hello Chaos team,
    I'm trying to understand why our MP4 does not look the same between VLC and Chaos Player. One of our client sent us a logo and the color was wrong in the MP4 in Chaos Player but correct in VLC.
    Are we doing something wrong?
    Our chaos player version is 2.00.22
    Thanks a lot,
    ValDo

Are you feeding the same mp4 to player or is it an image?
    Whatever the input, do you know how it's encoded?
    I can see that Player has your input with a "Default" color table and a "Default" display, which depending on the input should be either linear or sRGB.

There should be some settings for input and display correcting in VLC, I gave it a quick look but I'll need to spend a bit more time with those.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Hello yolov !
      The two images that you see are the same MP4 read by Chaos Player and VLC.
      The MP4 is a h264 CBR 12Mbits/s video from a still frame.

If I change the Default Display to sRGB, the colors are not changing, meaning that default is sRGB for me. Linear transforms the colors to a lighter/white washed colors that does not look as it should (obviously, since we are exporting as sRGB from After Effects)

Here is a link to the MP4 : https://we.tl/t-hKWCZKMJqx

We are using an OCIO env variable on windows to have the path of our config.ocio, but in this example we are not using OCIO at all.
      Thanks for helping, it is very concerning to us

Comment

Hello,
        Any news on this subject yolov ?
        Thanks,
        ValDo

Comment

Oh, sorry - forgot to actually write here, thanks for the nudge.
          I tried playing with the color settings in VLC, but didn't have much luck. It seems to offer a few options for display correction, but none of them seem to match the default sRGB display of Player.
          It doesn't seem to be able to load a custom color profile either (or I couldn't find how to do it).

My initial thought was that they simply had a different color profile and that's why I tried looking in that direction.
          So far - I don't have other ideas. There's a chance that other players will produce yet another result depending on what they do with colors when displaying them.

I also did a comparison between Djv, VLC, Player and Nuke - they all seem to display slightly different pixel values.

Do you maybe have the original image sequence that was used to produce the mp4?
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Hello yolov
            Thanks for having a look, sure here is the image sequence, the mp4 and a screenshot showing how different it is.
            To me Chaos player is not showing the correct colors, other players such as VLC, Windows player, and Nuke are showing the same thing, but Chaos player is showing something different.
            Here is a link with everything : https://we.tl/t-aU1MT73AqC

We saw this issue with a project of ours where the call to action at the end was a fully green button (sent by our client) and it does not look the same at all :
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ClientDiff_capture.png
Views:	144
Size:	874.1 KB
ID:	1168045

You can find the files here : https://we.tl/t-QBYavvGIoo
            Thanks a lot ! I hope that there is a solution to this, maybe we are doing something wrong but I am not sure that it is the case
            Cheers
            ValDo

Comment

Downloading. Will try to put some more time on this. Let me know how urgent it is.
              Alex Yolov
              Product Manager
              www.chaos.com

Comment

We delivered the project and the client is seeing the correct version, so to us it is not "that" urgent but enough to have some question as if we are keeping it as our main player or not

Comment

Hello yolov
                  I found an additional issue regarding MP4. When playing a jpg sequence, everything is working fine. When reading converted mp4 sequence, Chaos Player plays 4 time the first frame, and the last 4 are missing.
                  Here is the MP4 to debug it : https://we.tl/t-sE50QFpFBx
                  This issue seems to be way more critical for us

Comment

I spent some more time with this, but still no luck figuring out why this is happening.
                    I get the same result in Djv, Avidemux (Which I used to check all codec info) and Player.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	maya_RJ3UydjRD8.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1168658

I still think that VLC does something differently when decoding, transferring and/or displaying the pixels, but I don't know what it is yet. I still tried a number of options in the VLC OpenGL output, but no luck.
                    I'll keep digging after the holidays.
                    Alex Yolov
                    Product Manager
                    www.chaos.com

Comment

Hello yolov
                      Thanks for having a look, on this example, when uploaded on youtube, the colors are not matching what you have on Djv, Avidemux. It is matching what's on VLC, Premiere, After Effects, Nuke.
                      To me, we would like to have our player to be as close as possible to what will be sent and viewed by our client. For now it seems that we are far from it on some edge cases.

What do you think about it? I mean, if it differs from Nuke, that seems odd to say the least

Comment

Working...
                      X