Chaos player ACES greenish tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaos player ACES greenish tint

We've been having this problem for months now, and there seems to be no fix for it. Basically every .exr aces render we open in Chaos Player (latest version even, but happened in all previous versions) has a greenish tint to it.

In vray vfb it's neutral, like in Nuke, it's a 100% match. But in chaos player, there's always a greenish tint, and it seems there's a slight highlight/shadow shift. See image attached. Nuke is left, Chaos player is right.

What we've done in the last months. Upgrade Vray for 3dsmax several times, upgrade Nuke, upgrade ACES to 2.1 (latest supported by Vray), and Chaos player to 1.2. The problem still persists.

Any idea what might cause this?
    Attached Files

Hi, thanks for posting. Are you comparing the viewers or have you saved both images from Nuke and Chaos Player and compare them after that? I did a little testing and could not notice any difference between the viewers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	download?id=1GFgpe8Shc_uCMMH54Vr3K51rqMUwMzN2&authuser=0.png
Views:	37
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	1211151
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi, i'm comparing directly.. I load the same exr in Nuke, Chaos, Cinesync, MRV2, DJV... all the same except Chaos Player. Is there a way to reset the preferences on it? (Including OCIO stuff the player may save locally?)

Comment

Hi, check if you are using the same ocio file. Go to the Color Mapping Panel and right click you will open the LUT options. There is a "delete all unused tables" tab there and also you can reload your desired ocio. If this does not help, try reinstalling the Player. If this also does not help, please write again here.

​

Comment

Hi again, did the delete all unused tabs, and reloaded OCIO. Same green tint. Uninstall, restarted, installed... Same tint.

If lookup table is set to "None" there's no green tint, it's as soon as i add any OCIO.

Happened both in ACES 1.0.3 and ACES 1.3 (v2.1)

Comment

This is unusual. In my test yesterday I had the same result in VFB, Nuke and Chaos Player. It is important to use the same ocio version and the same transforms. Please go through your settings once again. Could you also send us your exr for a test?
            This is what I used:

Name:	download?id=1eJJj6mChUwzs_QJmtChAnF5nTprDbDn_&authuser=0.png
Views:	24
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1211203

Attached Files

Comment

Did a new scene, rendered... still same greenish tint. Scene and exr attached
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi, thanks for the files. With this image there is very slight difference between VFB and Chaos player with the same ocio loaded.

Chaos Player vs VFB:

Name:	download?id=1CZxnxUUZj5-6pv3hLh6o-vG8sGkU_7_5&authuser=0.gif
Views:	12
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	1211292

Nuke viewer vs VFB:

Name:	download?id=1UUaU0udBxdDMbGXCTHcd5A5LKM1s13IQ&authuser=0.gif
Views:	11
Size:	743.9 KB
ID:	1211293

We will investigate if there is something that can be done to improve it and get back to you.

Comment

Glad you could reproduce. In that scene it isn't very noticeable, but if you do a neutral scene like a plane + grey box with white lighting, the difference is huge.

Comment

Hi, we logged the issue as a bug in our internal system (CP-331). I will link this thread to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X