Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first impressions and wish list

My first impressions of lavina:

extremely impressive! the environment hdri load times are blazing fast and makes is so easy to light a scene. The .vrscene loadtimes (in my case up to 600mb) is also surprisingly fast. The framerate/renderquality is unbelievably good (rtx 2070 in my case). It is extremely liberating to do detailed lighting in realtime and one just know that hq shots will look just like the viewport only less noisy. It saves so much time being able to try out lighting directions and areas of shadows vs light in such good quality as Lavina.
    I do dr with gpus on network computers. Its actually faster to export a large vrscene to my local drive, open lavina and load the vrscene than it is to launch a render with vray gpu in dr mode.

my wish list.

- support for uvchannels other than channel 1
    - some kind of warning that the gpu is running out of ram. I can run lavina in real-time no problem but big scenes often crash when i attempt to do hq snapshots.
    - better integration with max. In my opinion its very obvious to compare Lavina to Enscape. I know that Lavina is pure raytracing but Enscape (I believe it's underlying tech is unreal engine) has some really impressive rtx features now.
    Its just sooo easy to use Enscape while developing an architectural design and im seeing companies using enscaperenders/photoshop visualizations in architectural competitions now. Imo you really should consider making the workflow just as easy between - say max and Lavina - as between sketchup and Enscape. Lavina seems strikingly close to being a better alternative to enscape.
    - tilt/shift camera options.
    - ability to set focal length on fullframe as an alternative to field of view.
    - Ability to create lights inside Lavina (perhaps a better option would be live-updates when working in max)

Thanks for the feedback.

- support for uvchannels other than channel 1
    We have this logged, hopefully relatively soon.

- some kind of warning that the gpu is running out of ram. I can run lavina in real-time no problem but big scenes often crash when i attempt to do hq snapshots.
    What resolution were you using ?
    We can do some easy optimizations to the memory usage that depends on the resolution.
    In the future we might have to render larger resolutions in buckets, but that will probably come much later.

- better integration with max. In my opinion its very obvious to compare Lavina to Enscape. I know that Lavina is pure raytracing but Enscape (I believe it's underlying tech is unreal engine) has some really impressive rtx features now.
    Its just sooo easy to use Enscape while developing an architectural design and im seeing companies using enscaperenders/photoshop visualizations in architectural competitions now. Imo you really should consider making the workflow just as easy between - say max and Lavina - as between sketchup and Enscape. Lavina seems strikingly close to being a better alternative to enscape.
    Can you tell us more about what you like in the Sketchup to Enscape work-flow ?
    We definitely need some sort of 3ds Max -> Lavina live link in the future, but it will take some time.

- tilt/shift camera options.
    I guess you need it for two point perspective ?

- ability to set focal length on fullframe as an alternative to field of view.
    We plan to have the (almost) full V-Ray physical camera at some point in the future.

- Ability to create lights inside Lavina (perhaps a better option would be live-updates when working in max)
    Maybe something similar to V-Ray for Sketchup, where you can click on objects to place a light on the object with a slight offset ?

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

What resolution were you using ?
      3840*2160. I will try to lower the resolution for hq shots

Can you tell us more about what you like in the Sketchup to Enscape work-flow ?
      You start Enscape from Sketchup with 1 click and then you have the entire model with balanced exposure and a sunlight system that is oriented according to time of day. Its very simple but very effective - 1 click an you have a much better understanding of what you are doing architecturally and you can discuss natural lighting conditions with colleagues. There's also the possibility to have live updates so everything you do in Skecthup is more or less immediately represented in Enscape. Its very effective for drafting and some people also do final renders (not as good quality as Vray or Lavina though).

I guess you need it for two point perspective ?
      Yes.

We plan to have the (almost) full V-Ray physical camera at some point in the future.
      Sounds good! Its very handy for matching photographs in compositing.

Maybe something similar to V-Ray for Sketchup, where you can click on objects to place a light on the object with a slight offset ?
      I think it sounds like a great idea to create lights in Lavina as you mention!! It sounds very easy to use and fast too.

Last edited by cloeoncloeon; 16-04-2020, 12:10 AM.

Comment

1280*720. I will try to lower the resolution for hq shots
        That's strange, that's the default resolution, so it shouldn't be using any additional memory.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

That's strange, that's the default resolution, so it shouldn't be using any additional memory.
          Sorry. I got it wrong - the resolution was 3840*2160!

Comment

Working...
          X