Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VrayDisplacementMod and Vantage - Making waves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayDisplacementMod and Vantage - Making waves!

Hi

We are using the VrayDisplacementMod constantly in our projects to get good looking ocean (no simulation needed) with foam and waves and so. We really want to go over to Vantage (using 3dsmax and Vray now) for rendering, but even if I read that the newest Vantage is supporting Displacement (is that correct?) we are not able to get the ocean water we need.
    The setup is the standard setup with PhoenixFDOcean plugged into the VrayDisplacementMod and also plugged into PhoenixFDFoam in materials for the foam. We can live without the foam, but the good waves of this setup is essential!
    What will the correct way be, to get this to work in Vantage?

Br
    Harald Martinoff
    Last edited by harald_martinoff; 18-03-2024, 03:46 AM.

Found out that I can plug in PhoenixFDOcean into the normal Displacement modifier so that works, but to get a proper ocean waves I need so many faces on the ocean plan. It makes my scene heavy! Is there any plan to implement the VrayDisplacementMod into Vantage so we can use less faces and also get the foam effect in through its use in Material?

Comment

Our next update will have a new option that reduces displacement memory usage for large objects like this, as long as the base mesh has at least some tessellation (not just 2 triangles).
      Nikola Goranov
      Chaos Developer

Comment

I think I misunderstood. You're baking the displacement inside 3ds Max, before it reaches V-Ray/Vantage. We can't reduce the triangles in this case. Vantage doesn't support Phoenix plugins.
        Nikola Goranov
        Chaos Developer

Comment

Thanks NPG
          Will it be some support of this in the future? It is not a big problem as long as I can drive the PhoenixFDOcean through the Max Displacement modifier.

We use VrayDirt to use Ambient Occlusion to create some foam where objects (Vessels) interact with the Ocean. I see it has been a discussion to implement VrayDirt supported by Vantage, but I also understand that if Vantage support every part of Vray then at a point it will be no differences between those two and then Vantage will be slow and not a real option beside Vray.

As such do anyone know an idea to how to make a foam line where our Vessels go into water (something like in the image) in Vantage?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	closeup.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1204811

Comment

Working...
          X