Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended GPU setup?

Hello all.
    My computer has a amd threadripper 3970X, an RTX 3080Ti 12GB, and 192 GB Ram.
    But with this specs seems that vantage struggles to render a simple scene (1 house with garden) at 4k. keeps crashing and running out of memory.
    I wonder how they rendered more complex scenes or even the initial animation with all the cars... How many gpu are needed for a render like that?
    which would be the optimal gpu setup for vantage?

Thank you.

Have you tried turning OFF the "Safe GPU allocations" option ?
    When off, Vantage might be able to use some of that 192 GBs of system RAM you have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	safe_gpu_allocations.png
Views:	105
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1208058

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.
      Yes, I have tried that setting. we are considering getting a second gpu that is why I asked for GPU setup recomendation.
      Mostly because I expect to be able to use vantage on bigger scenes, with animated people and cars, but at the moment I am struggling to understand how, I can't use Nvidia denoiser because it just goes imediately over Vram budget even with just 1 box as scene, struggles to render 4K in a simple garden scene.
      I did Garbage collection in Max, tried bitmap proxys and paging.
      Randomly, after many attempts, it ends up rendering...
      This is the scene that crashed all day today at 4k by 4k
      Click image for larger version

Name:	FashionStone_Example.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	1208064​

Comment

To render such high resolutions you probably need a Quadro or at least the top gaming card that has 24GB. Note that adding a second card DOES NOT add to your VRAM budget. Each card holds a separate copy of the scene, they don't share like in V-Ray GPU.
        Nikola Goranov
        Chaos Developer

Comment

Does not add? That is sad...
          4K renders are becoming the norm, if I provide a 2k still image to a client, the client will complaint.
          For animation we still use 2K (Full HD).

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Comment

Try lowering your samples and only denoise at the end. I would recommend getting a new rtx 4090. I had an rtx 3080ti on my laptop and it would max out my vram. Bought an external 3090 and it helped me get over the vram bump. Once I upgraded my laptop, 4090 all the way and haven't had an issue. Also, just use a single gpu, pick the fastest one. It might be that one of the 2 is limited in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Luma3d View Post
              Try lowering your samples and only denoise at the end.
              This won't affect VRAM usage, only render speed.
              Nikola Goranov
              Chaos Developer

Comment

After extensive usage using a 3090 24gb on large scenes with many many assets, at 4k+ I run into memory allocation crashes sometimes, even though I'm within budget!

Often the restart of vantage will allow me to render it.
                Last edited by DanSHP; 09-05-2024, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Also...go to your c: user/usernsme/appdata/local/temp folder and delete all files that u are able to. This will help.

Comment

Working...
                  X