Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3D Error on load

Hi,

I've tried opening some of my scenes with Lavina.
    First one was ok (and i was impressed with the Lavina performance), but on the second one i got an error on load.
    See attached image

I also have a dump file i can send to you my mail if needed.

Thanks, keep up the good work !
    Pixelo

Hi and thanks for reporting this.

The D3D ERROR on the screenshot is not informative - that's what shows up after D3D fails on some earlier command. So we will have to look at the dump file. And if possible the log file at %APPDATA%\Chaos Group\Project Lavina\debug_log.txt. The log file is overwritten on each session, so you'd have to run and crash Lavina again.

You should be able to attach the dmp file here - it's should be a few hundred KB.

p.s. Also, what GPU are you using and how big roughly is the scene? We don't prevent out-of-memory errors yet, so it could be just that the scene is too large.
    Nikola Goranov
    Chaos Developer

Comment

Hi Nikola,

And thanks for your answer.
      Maybe this is an out-of-memory error since the scene is quite large (the max file has numerous proxies of HD cars & trees).

My GPU is RTX2080 with 8gb.

Here is the debug_log, and the dump.
      Note that this dump file is from a previous crash loading the same scene. On the second attempt (the one corresponding to the log) the lavina.dmp file was generated empty.

Thanks !
      Pixelo

Attached Files

Comment

Yes, as expected the crash occurred while Lavina was processing the scene geometry (during a step where we compact the geometry to fit in less memory and before the final acceleration structure is built).

Currently we don't handle out-of-memory situations, so the app just crashes. We intend to handle this more gracefully in the future (e.g. abort loading) and we also plan to optimize peak memory usage, specifically when there are very large single meshes.

If you really want to try this scene right now, try removing some of the large proxies. By the way, part of the reason for the slow load time I see in the log (>6 minutes) seems to be that scene is accessed from the network. Making a local copy could save some time if you load a scene repeatedly.
        Nikola Goranov
        Chaos Developer

Comment

Thank you Nikola.
          Have a nice day

Comment

I am having this issue as well, just downloaded the public beta, and all I am doing is clicking the "load lavina scene" after the installation is done. I am not loading a vrscene that I exported. but I simply can't even start it, it seems?

Comment

Originally posted by thomaskc View Post
              I am having this issue as well, just downloaded the public beta, and all I am doing is clicking the "load lavina scene" after the installation is done. I am not loading a vrscene that I exported. but I simply can't even start it, it seems?
              Can you tell us the the Lavina build number and the nVidia GPU driver number ?

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev
              Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Working...
              X