Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Omni light samples faster than vraylight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omni light samples faster than vraylight?

I tried, it seems that the same amount Faster sampling for omin lights? If I set up the same vraylight. My FPS is significantly reduced. Is this normal

Calculations are simpler for omni lights, yes.
    However, I doubt you will notice a difference on a complex scene.

Maybe your omni light doesn't have "shadows" turned on ?
    When shadows are disabled, the extra shadow rays don't have to be fired into the scene which will increase the FPS.

You can disable shadows for the VRayLight as well bringing you a similar improvement in FPS.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
      Calculations are simpler for omni lights, yes.
      However, I doubt you will notice a difference on a complex scene.

Maybe your omni light doesn't have "shadows" turned on ?
      When shadows are disabled, the extra shadow rays don't have to be fired into the scene which will increase the FPS.

You can disable shadows for the VRayLight as well bringing you a similar improvement in FPS.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      When shadows are enabled normally, it seems that omin will be faster under the same amount. If this is normal, then I think I understand, thank you
      Then, I haven't found a good way to render scenes with thousands of lights. If I enable the light tree, I get very noisy results when I render. The light area fluctuates greatly. However, when the light tree is turned off, my FPS will be very low, and I may not even be able to make the scene normally, because it is very slow. So maybe I don't understand the parameters that should be set for output? Or is it not so friendly to scenes with a lot of lights?

Comment

Increasing the number of light tree samples doesn't help ?

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Increasing the number of light tree samples doesn't help ?

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          In a scene with thousands of lights, increasing the number of light samples is not helpful because the upper limit is only 16. I have tested that the light area flashes very frequently when the animation is played after rendering

Comment

We cannot make the upper limit more than 16, because each light tree sample requires lots of additional GPU memory.

How many AA samples are you using in the "High quality render..." dialog ?

Yes, when you have lots of lights, image noise is increased, so if you don't use enough AA samples, you will get flickering.
            Still, increasing the light tree samples will make it possible to use less AA samples.

We are exploring some better algorithms when you have lots of lights, but they are not ready.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev

Comment

We cannot make the upper limit more than 16, because each light tree sample requires lots of additional GPU memory.

How many AA samples are you using in the "High quality render..." dialog ?

Yes, when you have lots of lights, image noise is increased, so if you don't use enough AA samples, you will get flickering.
              Still, increasing the light tree samples will make it possible to use less AA samples.

We are exploring some better algorithms when you have lots of lights, but they are not ready.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev
              I set the subdivision to 600~1000, but there is still obvious fluctuation. Does it need a larger value?. I think it is better to increase the upper limit of the light tree and let users with enough video memory increase the value of the light tree than to turn off the light tree directly. In my opinion, turning off the light tree may mean that the parameters of the light tree are given to infinity. Because my FPS is indeed much lower. At least I haven't found a way to quickly get accurate rendering results after opening the light tree. If any. I hope you can teach me how to use only 16 light trees, and then get accurate rendering results faster than turning off the light tree. Because when I turn off the light tree. My sampling subdivision only needs to open 200 to get the light quality without any fluctuation. But in a scene with thousands of lights, it's too slow

Because I didn't find a way to open the light tree, render thousands of light scenes, and output stable animation without fluctuations. So I always choose to turn off the light tree. Then it is subdivided into 200,0.008. There is no fluctuation under this parameter. The light sampling is very balanced, but it is too slow. If I open the light tree, give the value to 16 Then subdivide it into 1000,0.001 I still get an animation with a very large fluctuation in the light area. I have experienced many scenes. There may be close to ten. No good solution was found. Sometimes I have to go back to Vray for production. Then use its adaptive lights。

If necessary. I can render several animations with different parameters for you. Let you evaluate, because this problem has bothered me for too long.
              Last edited by q976431; 13-06-2022, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I think it is better to increase the upper limit of the light tree and let users with enough video memory increase the value of the light tree than to turn off the light tree directly.
                Rendering speed will also decrease, I don't think it's a solution to your issue.

Greetings,
                Vladimir Nedev

Comment

But in a scene with thousands of lights, it's too slow
                  It's not even sampling all of them, the same memory limit is still present, so some lights are not computed.

Greetings,
                  Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Sometimes I have to go back to Vray for production. Then use its adaptive lights。
                    Yep, that's the best solution, but we don't have it in Vantage.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev
                    Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 13-06-2022, 07:43 AM.

Comment

If necessary. I can render several animations with different parameters for you. Let you evaluate, because this problem has bothered me for too long.
                      The one scene you sent me should be enough, but I haven't looked at it yet.
                      There is probably no quick solution.

Greetings,
                      Vladimir Nedev

Comment

The one scene you sent me should be enough, but I haven't looked at it yet.
                        There is probably no quick solution.

Greetings,
                        Vladimir Nedev
                        OK, I look forward to your new progress.
                        Because the lighting is inevitable in the night scene, if it is a large scene, there is no better way to improve the efficiency of many lights. So it is difficult to use vantage to complete the production process and rendering.

Comment

Rendering speed will also decrease, I don't think it's a solution to your issue.

Greetings,
                          Vladimir Nedev
                          Yes, I currently use a very unscientific method, but at least it allows me to finish rendering. But it is not a good idea.

Comment

It's not even sampling all of them, the same memory limit is still present, so some lights are not computed.

Greetings,
                            Vladimir Nedev
                            Yes, but it seems that every frame is calculated in the same inaccurate way, which makes my result seem to have no fluctuation. It may not be accurate at the code level. But the eyes look normal. At least there is no fluctuation in the light area

Comment

Originally posted by q976431 View Post

Yes, but it seems that every frame is calculated in the same inaccurate way, which makes my result seem to have no fluctuation. It may not be accurate at the code level. But the eyes look normal. At least there is no fluctuation in the light area
                              I see.

Greetings,
                              Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
                              X