Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8.5 Crashes randomly on startup

Hi Chaos,

I'm experiencing issues with 1.8.5 with random crashes on startup. I have no such issues with 1.8.4.

Below is a debug from the crash and well as system specs.

Windows 10 x64
    NVIDIA Driver 531.68
    AMD 7950X
    RTX3060 12GB

'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv mdig.inf_amd64_1bf648cb746f97ee\nvrtum64.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wbem\wbemprox.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wbemcomn.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wbem\wbemsvc.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wbem\fastprox.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\amsi.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Threat Prevention\MfeAmsiProvider.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Threat Prevention\blframeworku.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Threat Prevention\McVariantExport.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Threat Prevention\LogLib.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Endpoint Security Platform\LogLib.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Endpoint Security Platform\blframeworkrt.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Adaptive Threat Protection\ATPAmsiGuard.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gpapi.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfehida.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\psapi.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfemmsa.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv mdig.inf_amd64_1bf648cb746f97ee\nvoptix.dll'.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\nvml.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv mdig.inf_amd64_1bf648cb746f97ee\nvml.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
    'vantage.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\Vantage\vray_dr1.dll'.
    The thread 0xeb4 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFE6B4B286E (ucrtbase.dll) in vantage.exe: Fatal program exit requested.​
    REDVERTEX
    redvertex.com

Is there a corresponding Vantage_***.dmp file in your %TEMP% folder? Could you also share the log file from %AppData%\Chaos Group\Vantage (after it crashes, because it gets overwritten every time)? Are you doing anything when it crashes?
    Nikola Goranov
    Chaos Developer

Comment

Hi Nikola,

Below are a few dmp files from yesterday and and a log file.

https://transfer.redvertex.com/downl...230426gSOrYQAb

While trying to find what causes the issue, I found quite a few other applications on the github that also use Qt5 and also experience similar random crashes.
      REDVERTEX
      redvertex.com

Comment

It seems that the Cosmos service is not working properly. Can you start Cosmos? Have you modified its configuration?
        Nikola Goranov
        Chaos Developer

Comment

Can you open http://localhost:30305/ in a browser?
          Nikola Goranov
          Chaos Developer

Comment

Honestly, I don't want to start cosmos service.
            It caused me quite a lot of issues and wasted time tracing problem just to find out that it locks the whole 3ds max when the folder is shared.

This is another request. Please STOP trying to push Cosmos. Make it an optional install.
            REDVERTEX
            redvertex.com

Comment

OK. I am trying to understand how it fails because there are lots of log messages "Trying to connect an http1.x server" from our Cosmos code and it later crashes on updating the scene name for the Cosmos browser. I don't know how to reproduce this state. If I stop Cosmos on my machine it only warns that it's offline and doesn't produce these errors or a crash. Do you have any cbservice.exe process running or some other service on port 30305?
              Nikola Goranov
              Chaos Developer

Comment

After a bit more tests with Cosmos.

- With the service started it continued to crash. However, the service was running but I found some error for no connection to db or something like that.
                - With stopped service it continued to crash.

What fixed the issue was to uninstall Cosmos, then uninstall Vantage and install Vantage again. No more crashes for now.
                Now with Cosmos stopped, I'm getting warnings that it can't connect and retrying...

Before this, I tried multiple reinstalls of Vantage however nothing worked. What solved the issue was uninstalling Cosmos. Which makes me thing that something changed between 1.8.4 and 1.8.5 that makes Vantage more dependent on Cosmos.

Below are two different dumps with and without cosmos service runnning during the crash.
                https://transfer.redvertex.com/downl...230426fb9yGjcY
                REDVERTEX
                redvertex.com

Comment

More debug.
                  I had another machine with absolutely the same issue.

If you only uninstall Cosmos, Vantage will start working properly without the need to uninstall and reinstall Vantage itself.

Below are config and log from Cosmos of a faulty machine.
                  https://transfer.redvertex.com/downl...230426byP3ouGq
                  REDVERTEX
                  redvertex.com

Comment

Glad the crashes are resolved. I'm not sure what happened. We haven't changed Cosmos related code between 1.8.4 and 1.8.5, but the 1.8.5 installer may have updated the Cosmos service itself to a newer version - it should include 2023.4.18​ while 1.8.4 includes Cosmos 2023.1.12.
                    Nikola Goranov
                    Chaos Developer

Comment

The Cosmos team suggested deleting the .DB files from C:\\Users\\3duser\\Documents\\Chaos Cosmos
                      1. Stop cbservice;
                      2. Delete the files;
                      3. Start the service;​
                      Nikola Goranov
                      Chaos Developer

Comment

What will be best is to not include any cosmos service or be optional install.
                        REDVERTEX
                        redvertex.com

Comment

Working...
                        X