Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vantage - Displacement Continuity at Corners

Hello,
    First off, thank you Chaos for the massive upgrade to both Vantage 2.2 and Vray 6.2 for SketchUp and the implementation of a lot of features we have been requesting on both platforms.
    I was eager to try out displacement with Vantage but there seems to be an issue with corners. (or im doing something stupid)

Taking a simple box with a stone texture on it, I apply the Displacement Modifier in SketchUp, (tick 'keep continuity') and hit render.
    Everything looks normal in native Vray.

If I run vantage, the model now shows with the corners split open as if the keep continuity option is not ticked. The texture resolution is also extremly smooth and not jagged like in native Vray.
    I have tried it as a live link, and as an exported VR scene but to no success. Tried playing with the Displacement settings in Vantage again no luck.
    Am i missing something obvious at the end of a long week?

Really hope Displacement on is not only available though 3DS Max.

N

This could happen if the two walls are separate objects.
    Nikola Goranov
    Chaos Developer

Comment

This split corner is happening on a single cube. One group, not multiple groups. I too would expect it to behave in that manner if the two sides of the corner were different groups but that is not the case here.

Comment

Could you share the scene? Either here or through a support ticket (with link to the forum) https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
        Nikola Goranov
        Chaos Developer

Comment

Happy to. Will send it over when I get into the studio later today. The test scene is simply a cube, grouped and with a displacement geometry modifier (with map) applied to it, with keep continuity ticked.
          Thanks

Comment

Samething for me too.. it’s like the « keep contiguity » does not work, do nothing … samething in 3ds max .. not working .. impossible to have good looking corner ..

Comment

NRH1981, never mind, my colleague created a similar scene that reproduces the issue. Apparently sketchup generates duplicate vertices instead of referencing the same vertex for each face adjacent to it and this is why our code fails to mark the shared edges properly. We will see if we can fix that.

The behavior of the Vantage engine should be as if the "keep continuity" option is always on, it is never off. If it doesn't work then there's probably something wrong with the mesh.
              Nikola Goranov
              Chaos Developer

Comment

Thanks NPG, (apologies I’m on PST, hence why I haven’t sent anything over as yet) I’m surprised this most simplistic issue was not picked up during development? Glad to hear it is being addressed now so that displacement is usable. Looking forward to the patch/update.

Comment

Oh, we've surely used cubes, no doubt But we mostly use 3ds Max, just like our users. Not the first time Sketchup or Revit surprise us with how they export stuff...
                  Nikola Goranov
                  Chaos Developer

Comment

Is there an explanation for the lack of sharpness/resolution of the displacement map. Forgetting the open corner issue, is there a reason the brick/stone texture is coming across so smoothed out in comparison to the same scene in native Vray. Is there an issue with the way Vantage handles the image scaling as well?

Comment

Happy to be a SU beta tester for future releases…
                      Last edited by NRH1981; 11-12-2023, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure about the displacement detail in your screenshot. It shows that tessellation is set to High and the camera seems close to the object, so it should have more detail than that. Maybe the camera was far when the displacement was generated (on scene load). Try toggling the mesh auto-update button on the right of the timeline twice, or set tessellation to Low and back to High in order to regenerate the displacement using the current camera position. We use a different way to tessellate the geometry than V-Ray, so the triangles won't be identical, but in this case it looks way too coarse indeed.
                        Nikola Goranov
                        Chaos Developer

Comment

I have tried a couple of different scenes, both flat planes and 3d cubes and the displacement is not working as intended. It is creating a very low poly pillow instead of the sharp displacement detail regardless of whether the tessellation level is set as high or low. I have tried alternative Displacement maps but am getting the same result.

Comment

Maybe we will need the scene after all.
                            Nikola Goranov
                            Chaos Developer

Comment

Hi NRH1981,

We have release a new version 2.2.1 where the continuity at the edges should be fixed. Can you please update and check if it works for you?

Best regards,
                              Alexander​
                              Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Working...
                              X