No announcement yet.

VRayMultiSubTex and Refraction - Renders only Texture from first Slot 3ds Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayMultiSubTex and Refraction - Renders only Texture from first Slot 3ds Max

Hi, I see a strange effect in my renderings using VRayMultiSubTex and refractive materials.

In the sample you see stripes with different refractive materials, a first row of boxes with VRayMultiSubTex get ID from random by node handle (here the option does not matter) and a row of boxes in the back using four separate materials with the colored textures.

As you can see, some of the refractive materials seem to only use the VRayMultiSubTex in the first slot (blue), while others render correctly. Top to bottom (Default VrayMtl with 0,5 refraction, next from the mat library Glass_Tinted_Grey, Glass_Tinted_Black, Glass_Coated_Blue, Glass_Coated_Red).

Is this a known bug or by design? Since some materials work and the materials without MultiSubTex work too, I guess it's a bug.

I am using Max 2024.2, Vray 6.2 and Vantage 2.2.0.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Test_3.png Views:	0 Size:	876.7 KB ID:	1197206
    Last edited by Aysberg; 11-12-2023, 07:03 AM.

Hi Aysberg,

Can you please try to enable Shading graph for glossy/GI and see if it changes:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	61
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1197211
    If not can you please send the scene for us to investigate?

Best regards,
    Alexander
    Attached Files
    Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

By default shading graphs are disabled for glossy/GI rays.
      VRayMultiSubTex is supported only as part of a shading graph.
      If you have glossy refraction, after the first bounce, VRayMultiSubTex will no longer be computed.

You can enable shading graphs for glossy/GI rays, but it will most likely lead to a noticeable drop in performance.

Note that shadow transparency does not support shading graphs, so VRayMultiSubTex cannot be enabled in this case.

Edit: Alexander​ was faster and has a nicer screen-shot.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 11-12-2023, 07:21 AM.
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Alexander.Atanasov vladimir.nedev Thanks a lot. That did the trick. Now everything looks as expected.

The render time for a 4K HQ snapshot went up from 16.5 to 21.8 seconds in my case. That's acceptable

Comment

Working...
        X