Displacement - Live Link vs. Vrscene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement - Live Link vs. Vrscene

These meshes are pretty well subdivided. I've tried everything i can think of to figure out what's going on. It renders clean through live link, but when the .vrscene is ported over to Vantage there's the obvious artifacts. Subdivision settings in vantage are set to high

Click image for larger version

Name:	multisubdisplace.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	1199349

This is what displacement looks like in Vantage when there's a live link from 3ds Max:

Name:	max live link.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1199350

This is what the same two meshes look like in Vantage when exported as .vrscene:

Name:	vrscene displace.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1199351

Here's the max file with the two displaced parts and maps since it's too big to upload here:

----
    Last edited by rusteberg; 09-01-2024, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Does pressing this button twice (off and on) change the result? It depends on where the camera was when the displacement was updated. The camera saved in the vrscene file may be different from where it was while you were editing the scene in live link. If you start an offline render the displacement is updated per frame when necessary.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.7 KB ID:	1199355
      Nikola Goranov
      Chaos Developer

Comment

Ah... i see. So the level of subdivision is view dependent in order to save on memory? If I zoom in and turn that on off then I get a clean displaced mesh, but it consumes more memory, and vice versa as the view is zoomed out when rendering a static camera.

That makes sense now. Thank you!

Comment

Yes, it just doesn't update every time you move the camera because it is not instant. We may have to add a more obvious button instead of using the trick with this one...
          Nikola Goranov
          Chaos Developer

Comment

Working...
          X