Moving Camera in lister = freeze and Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Camera in lister = freeze and Crash

Working on a huge file: Suddenly when I create a camera and want to move it in the lister vantage will crash.
    Tried to reduce all render settings to a minimum, but same thing happens. Lot of work hours spent doing the same operations over and over...

Also when this crash happens sometimes the entire camera list and animation gets corrupted and vanishes and my past hour work is lost... Need help on this!

Comment

Is this something that you can reliably reproduce on a particular scene or does it happen randomly ?
      Can you show us a screen-shot or record a short video ?

What message do you get when the crash happens ?
      If it's a message mentioning a .dmp file, this file might help us figure out what caused the crash.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Happens reliably as seen in attached clip. When releasing left mouse button to put in my desired place in lister, it freezes and after about 30s vantage crashes without warning. Have not investigated on other files/projects. Happens every time I try to move my keyshot in the order I want. No message of error or .dmp file... It's a big vrscene file 700+mb compressed. Alot of Forest pack objects. I also use the open config only from earlier vantage file to import my already made animation sequense, because exporting it from 3dsmax takes forever... Maybe I'm doing something in the wrong order? Pretty new to Vantage so still learning how to do things. Excellent program when working

Terje
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Terje,

Can you please send us the .vantage file that you use with the cameras because I cannot reproduce the issue on my end. I believe the vrscene itself is not necessary at the moment.

Best regards,
          Alexander
          Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Sorry for the delay! Was busy with other projects. Opened this file today and suddenly half of my animation sequence went missing after a small edit... something strange is going on in this file.
            Attached Files

Comment

hmm...think I solved some of my problems via another thread: regedit - TDR delay = 3 seems to help my freeze and crash problem when editing animation. But I suspect I'm also running out of memory. Can't seem to insert both a pause and a transition between keyshots in the animation - one of them disappears all of a sudden for the entire ani-sequense. User-error? Can pause and transition not be combined?

Comment

Hi Terje,

Thank you for the file, I have managed to reproduce it and logged it under LAV-1735. We will let you know when there is some development.
                Yes, you could add a Pause and a transition between 2 camera frames. You just have to add the pause from the + button of the camera instead of the transition. I will log it in as a bug.

Best regards,
                Alexander
                Last edited by Alexander.Atanasov; 17-01-2024, 05:13 AM.
                Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Alexander! Much appreciated

Comment

Hi Terje,

Can you please try this modified version of your .vantage file and see if it crashes?

Best regards,
                    Alexander
                    Attached Files
                    Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

Hi Alex

Tried your mod and it works, no crash so far At first try when I tried to move around in the scene with my 3dconnexion space mouse the viewport went black...but after program restart it was fine again. Moving with mouse an keyboard was fine also before restart.
                      Can I somehow implement what you modified into my working project vantage file? I've worked quite alot on it in the last days so it would be great to update it with the mods.
                      After regedit TDR delay = 3 I was able to work without crashes too, but I guess what you modified might be a more stable solution?

Terje

Comment

Hi Terje,

The modifications that I made are simple - if you open the .vantage file, with Notepad++ for example, search for cam_group_idx and set it to -1 .This means that the camera is not part of a camera group. In the file I saw that you do not have any created camera groups but some of the cameras have group ids which is wrong. It looks like they were part of a group before but at some point the group got delete and the cam_group_idx got left behind and didn't update properly. We are now implementing a fix so that in the future if this happens the camera group indexes get reset if we detect no available groups.

Best regards,
                        Alexander
                        Last edited by Alexander.Atanasov; 19-01-2024, 02:59 AM.
                        Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

Superb! Thanks alot Alexander! Have a nice weekend!

Comment

Working...
                          X