poor image quality rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poor image quality rendering

i get poor image quality on 1st frame of a sequence i'm rendering (2 different ones actually) and i have to abort and restart the high quality render 4-6 times before it looks clean.

latest version of Vantage installed yesterday, video drivers on 2 4080 cards is: 546.01. i either get horizontal lines, or smooth walls are blotchy. the whole scene has daylight and many lights from 3ds max scene, but the animation is just 1 room/office. i have dynamic textures disabled (that seemed to help this morning, but not since) i'll attach my settings.

what i mean by abort and restart is that before the 1st frame is done, i abort the render and then render again. repeat, until it looks OK.
    Attached Files

here's some examples
    Attached Files

Comment

these lines are showing up also
      Attached Files

Comment

i just changed my render devices from 2 cards automatic, to 1 card. i had to re-start the live link but so far it's rendering a lot cleaner and of course double the time. i've just tried 1 card vs. 2 cards 3 times now, and each time i have automatic selected or, manually choose one or two cards, i get poor quality renders on 2 cards and better quality renders on 1 card only.

oh boy. now what.

Comment

sorry - meant to post this in vantage forum.

Comment

Hi, thanks for posting. Have you tried to enable the "legacy mode" of the Nvidia denoiser? This is done trough the render defaults menu.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	chrome_2024-03-12_14-47-12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.9 KB ID:	1204214
            Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I don't think it's related to the denoiser. Such lines point to an issue with the multi-gpu render. The difference in quality is probably because Light Cache is not supported in multi-gpu mode.
              Nikola Goranov
              Chaos Developer

Comment

yes in fact i did try using legacy denoiser and that didn't help.

i can't grab a screen shot of what it looks like when the vantage viewport updates, but it initally starts with a ton of lines (maybe its in one of my examples?) with 2 GPU's. 1 GPU is a lot better.

also i do have Lightcache disabled (that was one of the first things i tried).

i am also seeing this reflection or highlight just below this linear light. and this is only with 1 GPU. so i'm investigating my materials and model and light to see if i can get rid of it. it moves right-to-left and starts out short, then grows, then shrinks back down. i have similar "flares" with can lights in the scene.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	1204253

EDIT: my best results comes from using 1 GPU only. i saw some talk about a bug with using a video card connected to a monitor. i didn't notice if 1 of my cards was better than the other in my testing. i have two monitors hooked up to 1 card and the 2nd card is free.​

Comment

Originally posted by s_gru View Post
                  yes in fact i did try using legacy denoiser and that didn't help.

i can't grab a screen shot of what it looks like when the vantage viewport updates, but it initally starts with a ton of lines (maybe its in one of my examples?) with 2 GPU's. 1 GPU is a lot better.

also i do have Lightcache disabled (that was one of the first things i tried).

i am also seeing this reflection or highlight just below this linear light. and this is only with 1 GPU. so i'm investigating my materials and model and light to see if i can get rid of it. it moves right-to-left and starts out short, then grows, then shrinks back down. i have similar "flares" with can lights in the scene.

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	1204253

EDIT: my best results comes from using 1 GPU only. i saw some talk about a bug with using a video card connected to a monitor. i didn't notice if 1 of my cards was better than the other in my testing. i have two monitors hooked up to 1 card and the 2nd card is free.​
                  Hi,

This has been an issue in previous versions as well, the horizontal "bars"/lines seems to be resolution dependent as they differ in height depending on resolution.
                  We get the lines with Vantage 2.2.1 & 2xGPU's and the Nvidia Optix denoiser(even when running in legacy mode), the lines don't appear evenly in images as the lines are weaker/non existent in areas with a highlight for example.

Comment

I see an issue with a change we made in 2.2.2 that affects the computed screen space velocity in multi-GPU mode. This should affect motion blur and temporal denoisers. But you're saying this happened in 2.2.1 -- are you sure it wasn't a newer build?
                    Nikola Goranov
                    Chaos Developer

Comment

here's what i have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	285
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1204420

Comment

Originally posted by npg View Post
                        I see an issue with a change we made in 2.2.2 that affects the computed screen space velocity in multi-GPU mode. This should affect motion blur and temporal denoisers. But you're saying this happened in 2.2.1 -- are you sure it wasn't a newer build?
                        Hi, Yes I'm sure I double checked this and it's in 2.2.1. I also upgraded to 2.2.3 and it's the same issue, I get the horizontal lines there as well.

Comment

so this is no light-cache, no moblur, 1 GPU. anyway to get rid of these? the vray light is in the can but a few inches. the can has a small ring around it which proud of the ceiling which has a normal map. or could this be related to the issues somehow? denoise is non-legacy nvidia. i showed previous image which affected the linear lights and those seem to be minimized now, but this has become a bit more prominent on the can lights.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	1204485

i turned off bloom but that didn't help.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	275
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1204492​​
                          Last edited by s_gru; 14-03-2024, 07:20 AM.

Comment

We will investigate if you can share a scene here https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new (with link to this thread)
                            Nikola Goranov
                            Chaos Developer

Comment

what's funny about this, is it seems to get worse the more it renders up to the 500 samples i have specified. also, in the vantage viewport, it clears up after similar amount of passes and looks fine on each frame that i advance to. just during the animation sequence (saving out to jpg files) it progressively gets a little worse and stays there.

i've adjusted: lights tree samples, shading graph / shading graph for glossy/GI, disabled dynamic textures. so far no luck in getting rid of that. i have not tried using or disabling light cache, i keep that off. i'll try that next.

Comment

Working...
                              X