Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animation noise

Morning guys,

When rendering through livelink I'm getting a lot of noise on random frames, what I'm noticing when watching the render is that it renders the frame to 82% and then seems to reset itself leaving a short period of time remaining and introducing a lot of noise.

I've attached two frame showing the noise problem..

Thanks,

Jason
    Attached Files
    AMD Threadripper 3990x 64C Processor, 128 GB DDR4-3200 Ram, 48 GB PNY Quadro RTX A6000, ​Windows Pro 10.0.19045, 3dsmax 2024 SP3, Vray 6 Update 2.1, Vantage 2.3.0​

We've seen similar issues before and it seems to be caused by de-synchronization where live-link updates are applied in the middle of sampling a frame. It is hard to reproduce, so if you have a scene that you can share it should be helpful.

One thing you could try is to increase the frame timeout value in the live link settings dialog in Max (second toolbar button). For example several seconds instead of 0.1.
    Nikola Goranov
    Chaos Developer

Comment

Thanks npg, it happened on my last large project, couldn't resolve it then and had to go through the send as a standalone rock solid method. I'll try the frame timeout although I've tried this before with no joy. Why is that there anyway and why would it be 0.1 ? Cheers
      AMD Threadripper 3990x 64C Processor, 128 GB DDR4-3200 Ram, 48 GB PNY Quadro RTX A6000, ​Windows Pro 10.0.19045, 3dsmax 2024 SP3, Vray 6 Update 2.1, Vantage 2.3.0​

Comment

It's a small interval that we wait for after advancing the timeline in Max and before sending the command to Vantage to proceed. It's supposed to ensure that data transfer has already started so that Vantage will render the updated scene.

How much time does it take for the frame to reach 82% where it resets the noise as you said?
        Nikola Goranov
        Chaos Developer

Comment

It takes about 10 seconds to load/move the camera, then 10 seconds to render it, so this would happen randomnly about 8 seconds into the rendered frame, I don't think it's always 82%, that's just the ones I noticed, it's also not on every frame, I have denoiser turned off due to grass, maybe that could something to do with it?

Generally from rendering through my livelink a lot more noise than I would expect is being introduced..

Comment

My comment was about noise resetting back to initial levels mid-render. This can't be caused by denoiser options.

If you're getting more noise than when rendering from a vrscene file with the same settings, then this is something else (and unexpected). But only if the frames you're comparing from live link were not reset in the middle of the render like the one at 82%. Because these frames are only sampled for the remainder of the sampling passes until 100%.
            Nikola Goranov
            Chaos Developer

Comment

Working...
            X