Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems related with Chaos Cosmos trees and wind

Hi there!

I have an interior scene where I want to insert a tree and animate the foliage, in order for its shadow to appear moving on the floor.
    However, I've encountered numerous issues:

- First, I tried to animate the branches of a tree using a noise modifier. The animation works inside 3ds Max, but when I export it to Vantage the tree remains static;
    - Then, I inserted a tree from Chaos Cosmos, and I verified if it was a model that was influenced by the wind parameter in Vantage. Once again, when exported to Vantage the wind didn't work;
    - Finally, I closed the livelink and placed a Chaos Cosmos tree directly inside Vantage. This time, the wind parameter worked correctly. However, I was unable to move the tree to the desired location.

What can I do?

Software:

- 3ds Max 2024 26.0.0.940;
    - V-ray 6, update 2 (6.20.03 build 32397)
    - Chaos Vantage version 2.5.2, build 2808572

On your first point - it is expected that a deforming mesh doesn't move if you just play the timeline in the interactive viewport in Vantage. We don't always update meshes because it would cause stuttering. If you scrub to a specific time or if you render an offline sequence meshes should update.

On the second point - there was a change required in V-Ray which is included in stable build 32687 and later.

On the third point - we disable some things while we're in live link, so the outliner is empty, many scene modifying actions are unavailable, etc. You would need to start with a new scene (empty of from file) to regain this functionality after stopping live link.
    Nikola Goranov
    Chaos Developer

Comment

Originally posted by npg View Post
      On your first point - it is expected that a deforming mesh doesn't move if you just play the timeline in the interactive viewport in Vantage. We don't always update meshes because it would cause stuttering. If you scrub to a specific time or if you render an offline sequence meshes should update.

On the second point - there was a change required in V-Ray which is included in stable build 32687 and later.

On the third point - we disable some things while we're in live link, so the outliner is empty, many scene modifying actions are unavailable, etc. You would need to start with a new scene (empty of from file) to regain this functionality after stopping live link.
      First point - you're saying I can't export a deforming mesh to Vantage, only a specific frame, right? I ask this because I tried to export vrscene from 3ds Max, and when I imported it this dialog box appeared:

Click image for larger version

Name:	loop.png
Views:	0
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1218181

Which means that I can only import animations from 3ds Max if I export the scene, and not through live link, correct?

Second point - Thanks, I'll update my v-ray software, then.

Third point - I did like you instructed and it worked; now I can move the trees to the desired place, thank you.

Comment

This dialog is not relevant. It just lets you filter out parts of the scene when you're importing (merging) it instead of loading it as the main scene. Deforming animation from vrscene files does work. What I tried to say earlier is that in interactive mode Vantage chooses to skip updating the meshes when you use the "play" function, in order to keep the animation smooth. It's just an optimization - we have all the frames in the file and we can load them. If you stop the live playback the mesh will get updated for the current time. When you render in "offline" mode this does not apply - meshes are always updated. So for example if you have deforming Anima people in the scene - they will just slide with frozen bodies in the interactive preview, but will be fully animated in the final render.
        Nikola Goranov
        Chaos Developer

Comment

Working...
        X