Can Chaos Vantage implement this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Chaos Vantage implement this?

I have zero knowledge of programming so sorry in advance if I am been naive but I wonder if Chaos Vantage can have a behavior similar to programs that use a mix of ray tracing and rasterization?

Many of us are never going to use Vantage to replace Vray in some key areas like still image production and 360 panoramas but I feel the animation side is not what some or many of us would like it to be.

I find disappointing the fireflies on reflective surfaces on Vantage animations. And to minimize it we need to up resolution to 4k minimum and increase the samples, which in turn increase animation time.

I have tested D5render on my RTX 3090 and it is much cleaner and quicker, though slightly less quality, granted.

This example on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrHm0x_zqwI blew me away and I wonder if Chaos Vantage could implement a second clean and super fast rendering option for the many of us that need it.

I personally wish we could have both options, pure raytracing for when time is not a pressing issue, and a mix of ray tracing/rasterization for when time is premium and the utmost quality is not required. Maybe that is not possible. Could you kindly clarify? Thanks.

that use a mix of ray tracing and rasterization?
    The fireflies issue is not strictly related to whether rasterization or raytracing is used.
    It has more to do with how GI, glossy reflections and area lights are sampled.
    Game engines use approximations that ignore the correct area shadowing and approximate the BRDF/light interaction, but don't have noise.
    From what I understand, these don't work very well when you have many lights.

In any case, we will be exploring various ways to improve the sampling in future versions.
    But I cant give you a time-frame or exactly what we will end up implementing and including as an option/default.

I find disappointing the fireflies on reflective surfaces on Vantage animations.
    Can you send me the scene where this happens to get a better idea of what's causing it in your particular case.
    Sometimes fireflies could be caused by a bug.

And to minimize it we need to up resolution to 4k minimum
    I am not sure how this is helping with the fireflies/noise issue ? It will only increase your render time.

I personally wish we could have both options, pure raytracing for when time is not a pressing issue, and a mix of ray tracing/rasterization for when time is premium and the utmost quality is not required. Maybe that is not possible. Could you kindly clarify? Thanks.
    Like I said raytracing is not the issue per se. We don't plan to use rasterization, as that will only create other issues, it won't magically fix noise/fireflies.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Thanks Vladimir for your answer. I am aware the sampling in Vantage is better. Just would be great to have an additional option within Vantage to produce faster and noise free animations despite not been physically correct.
      When I was testing Lavina I noticed the same scene will render with less fireflies if I set the resolution to 4k instead of full HD. Matter of fact, I remember the animation of the scene I tested in 4k (a cafe with many glasses and lots of detail) produced cleaner frames than at 1080p even with half the samples.
      Vantage have the ad-Vantage of reading Vray materials and lights, and the quality is better, but it would be a liberating experience to be able to render noise/firefly free animation frames in 2-3 seconds as an option when the highest quality is not required.
      Anyway thanks for your time. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
      X