Live-Link on a remotely Located Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live-Link on a remotely Located Machine

Thanks to Vladamir for giving me tips, how to live link on a locally located computer. (3ds max on PC1 and Vantage on PC2)
    I was wondering if I can do this on a remotely Located Machine?

You should be able to do that, since Live Link uses the distributed rendering machinery under the hood. But you will have to set it up manually. See the instructions here https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/LAV/Live+Link in section GPU IPR and click on "Click here to expand for manual IPR setup". Instead of 127.0.0.1 use your second machine's address. I haven't tried this, but it should work. Of course, a good connection (LAN) between the machines would help if your scenes are large.
    Nikola Goranov
    Chaos Developer

Comment

Setup wise, it should be the same as the locally located machine, but of course you need a static IP address on the remote machine and
      you need to disable the firewall for the ports Vantage uses (20701, 20702) even for "untrusted" networks, i.e. the Internet.

However, we test DR in local networks and that's how it's used in basically all cases, so it's very much possible that some recent code change will trip it up and it will not work.
      Please share with us what happens.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Another note, if you setup a VPN for your local and remote machine, then they are basically in the same local network and I guess it should work in this case.
        The data being sent between Vantage and 3dsMax will also be more secure this way.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by Alokpatil View Post
          Thanks to Vladamir for giving me tips, how to live link on a locally located computer. (3ds max on PC1 and Vantage on PC2)
          can you share this tips with us ? ...cant find it in the forums though

Thanks
          visit my behance profile

Comment

You can check the link Nikola gave.

Basically you:
            1. start Vantage on some machine
            2. in 3ds Max, switch to V-Ray GPU
            3. enable distributed rendering in the Perf. tab
            4. in the Render servers list, specify the IP address of the machine from step 1 with the port shown in the Live Link menu in Vantage (20701 by default)
            5. disable Use local host in the Render servers list so V-Ray GPU is not started
            6. start IPR
            This should be it.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev
            Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 25-03-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Will try this immediatly, this is huge ...thx
              visit my behance profile

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
                You can check the link Nikola gave.

Basically you:
                1. start Vantage on some machine
                2. in 3ds Max, switch to V-Ray GPU
                3. enable distributed rendering in the Perf. tab
                4. in the Render servers list, specify the IP address of the machine from step 1 with the port shown in the Live Link menu in Vantage (20701 by default)
                5. disable Use local host in the Render servers list so V-Ray GPU is not started
                6. start IPR
                This should be it.

Greetings,
                Vladimir Nedev
                unfortunatly this is not working for me somehow. Max always opens up vantage on the host computer and i get a cannot obatan liscense error, since vantage is opend up on the 2nd machine.

I guess the problem is sitting infront of the computer .

EDIT: I figured it out... i just realized that i dont have to use the livelink button but just start the ipr

Further then that., is it possible to export a camera animation / scene to a second computer aswell ?

Cheers

Björn
                Last edited by Björn Radler; 26-03-2021, 02:49 AM.
                visit my behance profile

Comment

Further then that., is it possible to export a camera animation / scene to a second computer aswell ?
                  I am not sure what you mean by that.
                  You can export a .vrscene and open it on the second PC.
                  Or you could run the live link and change the current time in 3ds Max to see the change in Vantage.

Greetings,
                  Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post

I am not sure what you mean by that.
                    You can export a .vrscene and open it on the second PC.
                    Or you could run the live link and change the current time in 3ds Max to see the change in Vantage.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev
                    I mean directly exporting the current animation to a sceond pc via the vantage toolbar in 3dsmax ... it would be great if you could choose the destination since the toolbar is exporting to the local machine/open up vantage on the local machine.

Cheers

Björn
                    visit my behance profile

Comment

Working...
                    X