Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestion for intuitive implimentations

Hi Vantage team,
    Here i will list a few suggestions that to my opinion make a lot of sense and will help chaos vantage workflow improve:

1. clone, duplicate possibillity. As soon as you open a landscape scene in Vantage , with a few trees, and shrubs, grass, it would be very useful for architects to be able select a bunch of trees or grass and copy multiple times. This will make Vantage the best software for landscape design that exist, cause it will be so easy to create custom landscapes that a kid will be able to do a job that now requires software knowledge such as Forest pack.. I remember earlier version of Lavina, included duplicate, but later was taken back.
    2. a basic scattering tool inside Vantage will be very useful. This way you drag and drop objects from Cosmos browser and distribute to create easily more complicated landscapes. This refers to suggestion n.1, that you can scatter manually if duplicate, clone would be supported.
    3. possibility to add shortkeys. Chaos Vantage is a tool that is magical exactly because gives you manipulation of your scene with a few shortcuts, so it is important that each user can improve routine gestures with shorkeys, If this not possible , then add a shorkey for moving pivot and make it work so that you middle mouse click and the pivot is placed where you click. This is how it works is UE4 and is awesome.
    4. Better implementation of cosmos objects and vrscenes, regardless what system units have been used in 3ds max. Right now if system units in Max is meters, cosmos objects come in wrong scale.
    5.make center pivot to selection possible. Very often i bring a vrscene in vantage, i place it or merge it and pivot is lost, and I have to lose a lot of time to center the pivot so that my objects can be manipulated.
    6. when saving a vantage scene and open it later, ligths parameters are lost and have to reconfigure, like shadows bias... or enable shadows... In general make save vantage scene more stable, if possible give an option that you can archive this scene so that when you open on a different pc or if you want to send the whole scene, it willl always works exactly as it used to when you closed vantage. Right now my biggest fear is what i will get when i open a Vantage scene I created some time ago.
    7.make it possible to keyframe sun position, in the animation timeline, This will make it very easy to create this beautiful timelapse videos that is so valuable for architects. In general add in the animation timeline a third bar, that will be the animation for the lights, This way you could manipulate animation of lights the same way you do for cameras, and great possilbilities will come out of this, such as an animation of the same scene from night iluminated with artificial ligths, to a day of moving sun. Here I would consider support of animated hdris, showing the change of sky during the day and how this affects the lighting of your scene.
    8.make a button in 3ds max that will export import to vantage only selected objects and another button for exporting selected animations. Right now I have to do this manually through export selected vrscene. This will save huge amount of time.
    9. when drag and drop to place an animated scene in vantage, no matter where you place it , it will be placed at the origin place that it is in 3ds max, when playing the animation. For instance when I place animation of human figures ( by the way i am importing 3ds max bones as for the time being skin modifier is not supported) i would like to be able to place them as I am creating the composition of the video inside Vantage to where i find match better.
    10. bring vertex animation or allembic. this will allow for a huge improvement in aesthetics of videos created with Vantage, like trees moving by the wind, curtains, animated people,animated water, elements that will make Vantage a real video production software.
    11.make it possible inside cosmos library to add custom libraries. Libraries is a game changer, that lead many architects to Enscape, Twinmotion, Lumion. I believe that who implements the most functioning libraries will be leading the visualization software. A general wish to Chaos group is to make vray proxies store materials and textures.This way you will have the most intuitive workflow that can exist. Just drag and drop proxies inside Vantage.
    12.make a slider that shows coordinates of an object. Very ofter when I drag and drop a scene inside another scene inside Vantage the new scene comes far away and I have to spend a lot of time to bring it to the correct place. Maybe you can think of a better way to snap or....
    13. Support for phoenix fd animations.
    14.when you change material on an object inside Vantage, and then you reopen the scene later this change usually is lost. In general make materials more functional, for instance make it possible to pick the material of a selected object, or just highlight the material of the selected object interactively the same way objects are hightlighted when you select an object in the viewport.
    15.add very few color correction possibilities, like in Corona. Mainly the one missing a lot is contrast, or curves so that you can edit separately shadows, midtones and highlights. If we have contrast then by playing around with the existing exposure, white balance of camera, and highlight burn we would be able to generate much better moods for our videos.

In general I cant stress enough what a great tool Vantage is , and how in my opinion is changing for ever the visualization process. thank you for all your efforts to make this software better each time.

6. when saving a vantage scene and open it later, ligths parameters are lost and have to reconfigure, like shadows bias... or enable shadows... In general make save vantage scene more stable, if possible give an option that you can archive this scene so that when you open on a different pc or if you want to send the whole scene, it willl always works exactly as it used to when you closed vantage. Right now my biggest fear is what i will get when i open a Vantage scene I created some time ago.
    We don't save most light settings in the .vantage file, yes. This part is a bit unfinished.
    We want to figure out the best way to allow you to choose the original light settings (from the .vrscene) or the ones you entered in Vantage.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Hi Vladimir,
      Thank you very much for your fast reply,
      If you can please later elaborate a bit more on all my requests, would be much appreciated.
      What do you mean by ligths entered in Vantage. is there a way that i miss that you can add lights inside Vantage, cause this would be another great implimentation to drag and drop ligths from cosmos library. Right now if I would like to add lights in vantage i would have to drag and drop a vrscene that contains lights.

Comment

I mean that you can modify the lights in Vantage, but you can also re-export your .vrscene from 3dsMax/etc with new values for those same lights.
        So ideally, you should be able to turn off/on the modifications in Vantage like a layer.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Did I read this correctly?
          If I set up my lighting and save the scene in order for my client to view it, those lighting settings are not saved?
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
            Did I read this correctly?
            If I set up my lighting and save the scene in order for my client to view it, those lighting settings are not saved?
            Only the "enabled" state, "color" and "intensity" are saved.
            We will be fixing this soon hopefully.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Ok, thanks...good to know.
              Generally, I really am blown away by how this works and know it'll only improve.
              It is a complete revelation for my client on this particular job and it's induced him to learn all sorts of new
              things, just so he can use it, so it's a massive stress relief for me into the bargain! Yay!
              https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

s.riegas, thanks for spending the time to give some detailed feedback! It will take some time (and several of us) to answer everything Most of the things you asked for are already on our roadmap. I will try to answer some of the points:

1 & 2) Yes, we removed the clone function because it was not fully developed and we had to work on other things. It will come back at some point. Scattering is also on our roadmap, but further down the road.
                3) I'm not sure if I understand the request correctly. If you are asking for customizing the existing shortcuts - this will come very soon. If you want shortcuts for actions that have no keyboard binding currently, this is something we have to consider (keep in mind the limited number of keys etc.)
                4) This was supposed to work properly, i.e. it's a bug. We will investigate.
                5) vrscene files exported from recent 3ds Max versions (5.0 or 5.1 I don't remember exactly) include object pivot information, so this should work unless it came from an older version of V-Ray or another host app. Or did I misunderstand the issue?
                6) Yup. We are quite aware of this problem. It will be improved.
                7) This is also planned, of course.
                9) Did I get this right - you import animated objects at a specific place - they are well placed. But when you play the animation the placement offset is lost? This is a bug...
                10) Yes, this is widely requested. In fact we just had a discussion that touched upon this topic in the past hour. It's on the roadmap, but as usual I can't say exactly when it will happen. By the way, would it be ok for you if these animations didn't play while in interactive mode and only when you render an "offline" high quality sequence?
                12) We've already implemented a position input textbox - it will be available to users soon.
                14) This is supposed to work. Sounds like a bug. Are you assigning materials from the main scene file or were they imported additionally? In any case, the material functionality is rudimentary, unchanged from early Beta. Improving it is obviously also on the roadmap.
                Nikola Goranov
                Chaos Developer

Comment

Hi Nikola
                  Thank you very much for replying to my requests in such detail.
                  3. I consider both, so for instance i am using very often the pause render to help the gpu relax for a while, so it would be great for me if it could be the key ` , plus i would like to have a shorkey for affect pivot.
                  5. some times the pivot is placed far from the selection, so i would like to have a one click center pivot to selection.
                  9 yes you got it correct. vantage plays the animation only at the origin of 3ds max, no matter where I place it in my Vantage scene.
                  10. Very nice coinsidence!!!! Bringing life to the scene is very crucial in my opinion, otherwise we can only create one type of movies, freezed in time architectural walkthroughs. Being able to render sequences of vertex animated objects (skin modifier for character, wind blown trees.....) will open a whole new world for Vantage to be a content creation software. As a first step it would be amazing to just have the possibility to render high quality sequence of vertex animated objects. Personally i am using Vantage for final rendering shots of my movies, and not just as a previewer, so this will be of great use for me.
                  14. I might have been asigning materilas of vrscenes that I have merged in my basic scene. I cant say for sure.

Comment

6. when saving a vantage scene and open it later, ligths parameters are lost and have to reconfigure, like shadows bias... or enable shadows...
                    This is finally fixed in Vantage 1.5.0.
                    Note that only the parameters that you have changed will be saved in the .vantage file.
                    Any unchanged parameters will be sourced from the .vrscene file, so if you re-export it, their new values will be used.

14.when you change material on an object inside Vantage, and then you reopen the scene later this change usually is lost.
                    We improved material saving/loading and fixed a number of bugs with it in Vantage 1.5.0.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
                    X