Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suggestions to improve workflow of architectural visualization and film.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions to improve workflow of architectural visualization and film.

Dear Chaos team

1.Can you please implement back the possibility to clone , geometry inside Vantage.
    This can save significant amount of time when you compose your film in Vantage and you see that you would like to add something here and there. You cannot and hten you need to import additive from 3ds max which is time consuming.
    The same for Cosmos. Each time you import somethinkg in your scene, you scale it (like vegetation) to make a nice composition and you create a group of vegetation that you want to clone and distribute in your scene. This would allow amazing freedom and composition power inside Vantage.

2.In a previous post you mentioned that latest Vray will bring live link animation render in Vantage. Is this now available with Vray 5.2? This way we can take advantage of all things that live link supports but Vantage does not.
    This way we can render animation of rigged characters, sun movement .....

3.can you make it possible to pick an object in Vantage and then in the material tab highlight select the material of this object. Very ofter my scenes consist of thousands of materials , I want to replace a material in my scene and it is very hard to find the material with which I want to replace. This button you can add next to the existing buttons of assign material to object , or pick object with current material. A drag and drop material to geometry without having to pick the object will be great

4. cosmos added materials which cannot be applied inside Vantage

5.add a button in 3ds max to send selected objects additive to your existing vantage scene.

6. I open a vrscene in Vantage and then I drag and drop merge two more scenes and save vantage scene. Then if i open a previous vantage scene where i had not imported the additional vrscenes it still keeps loaded the additional vrscenes.

7.Add support inside vantage of space mouse 3d connexion. This will give amazing skills to direct a film inside Vantage.

8.when you click ungroup lights there is no way to click again to group these lights so you dont get overwhelmed by too many lights of a scene. Even if done by mistake to unclick or done cause you wnat to dim the lights indepedently and then want to group the again to enable or disable. ligths when enable shadows they come with bias 0.002. is there a reason for this. It takes some time to bring back to 0.

9. add in vantage animation bar the possibility to animate sun altitue azimuth. That will create amazing shots for architecture.

10. Make it possible to save state of ligthing the way you save cameras and drag and drop in the animation timeline the diffrerent states of these light scenarios

11.make it possilbe in the animation timeline to keyframe position, translation , rotation scale of objects. this way we can animate architectural elements that will improve immensively films of architecture.

12. when importing an animated object in vantage by drag drop into vantage scene make it possible to move this object in your scene.

13.Improve the UI of lights. When workign with multiple ligths in a scene you need to move often from compact mode to basic mode. then you lose contact of what ligth you want to alter. on the other hand when working from basic to advanced the light you ahve selected stays at the same place and more settings are revealed. in basic and advanced model place the buttons in the beginning of the title as in compact to enable disable easily.

14, light, materials and objects tabs at some point shrinked and each time I have to click on them to extend their parameters and when i click back to viewport the shrink back to buttons.

15. when working on heavy scenes frame rate drops significantly, so i need to lower parametres of gi reflections and refraction parameters. Make one button that enables disables these two states of parameters , bad to navigate and work on the scene and good when wnat to finalize your shots.

Thank you very much for your consideration.
    Vantage is an incredible piece of software, that came to change everything
    Last edited by digital_technologies; 26-10-2021, 02:28 PM.

2.In a previous post you mentioned that latest Vray will bring live link animation render in Vantage. Is this now available with Vray 5.2? This way we can take advantage of all things that live link supports but Vantage does not.
    This way we can render animation of rigged characters, sun movement .....
    Yes, it is available with Vray 5.2. You need Vantage 1.5.0 as well.

Animated sun movement specified in the .vrscene works when rendering animation directly in Vantage too.

3.can you make it possible to pick an object in Vantage and then in the material tab highlight select the material of this object. Very ofter my scenes consist of thousands of materials , I want to replace a material in my scene and it is very hard to find the material with which I want to replace. This button you can add next to the existing buttons of assign material to object
    Yes, we plan to add this option soon.
    However, I am not sure how this will help you find the material you want to apply among thousands of materials.
    For this, we plan to add various filtering options to the material browser.

or pick object with current material.
    We already have this option, as a button or if you right click on a material.

A drag and drop material to geometry without having to pick the object will be great
    We are working on this.
    What about a paint/bucket tool i.e. you select a material, activate the tool and then clicking on objects changes their material ? Do you think this might be useful ?

4. cosmos added materials which cannot be applied inside Vantage
    We plan to enable support for this as soon as possible.

6. I open a vrscene in Vantage and then I drag and drop merge two more scenes and save vantage scene. Then if i open a previous vantage scene where i had not imported the additional vrscenes it still keeps loaded the additional vrscenes.
    I don't get it. How are you opening that previous .vantage scene ? Are you using "open scene as config only..." ? If yes, I think this is expected.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

8.when you click ungroup lights there is no way to click again to group these lights so you dont get overwhelmed by too many lights of a scene. Even if done by mistake to unclick or done cause you wnat to dim the lights indepedently and then want to group the again to enable or disable.
      We are thinking about some changes to the lights' UI that will allow you to work both with the groups and the individual lights.
      Right now, there is an ugly hack you can use - go to Preferences->UI and then check and uncheck again "Display controls for all lights" - the groups will be back.

ligths when enable shadows they come with bias 0.002. is there a reason for this. It takes some time to bring back to 0.
      The shadow bias value used is the value specified in 3ds Max.

5.add a button in 3ds max to send selected objects additive to your existing vantage scene.
      We kind of have the live link for that. Why is the live link not usable for you in this case ? Can you explain ?

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Yes, it is available with Vray 5.2. You need Vantage 1.5.0 as well.

Animated sun movement specified in the .vrscene works when rendering animation directly in Vantage too.

I

I use vantage 1.5.2. Should i downgrade to 1.5.0
        Can you please show how you can render sequence in vantage of animation you have in 3ds max, while in live link.
        can you show how can i animate my sun inside vantage and then

We kind of have the live link for that. Why is the live link not usable for you in this case ? Can you explain ?

Very often i work on multiple 3ds max files simultaneously and from each one I want to bring different objects. In general when i have worked long in Vantage to set up ligths parameter LUT all settings that work for me then i dont want to go back to live link that might have many things different and then having to export the whole scene again. My workflow is as follows: one Vantage constantly playing on one monitor wheere i schedule my shots for final film rendering and max file to edit stuff modify work different ideas that i dont want to affect my vantage scene but rather as soon as i modify something i wnat to bring it back to my set up vantage scene. this way i improve gradually my vantage scene until i reach a perfect level and then i start rendering the movie.

16. what does snap do. In my case has no difference when enabled

Comment

I use vantage 1.5.2. Should i downgrade to 1.5.0
          Can you please show how you can render sequence in vantage of animation you have in 3ds max, while in live link.
          1.5.2 can be used as well, of course.
          I think we are preparing a video that shows the live link animation feature.
          I haven't tried it myself, but it should be fairly straightforward - you start the live link and then in 3ds Max click the new "render animation in Vantage" button.

can you show how can i animate my sun inside vantage and then
          This is not possible currently.

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev

Comment

17. Improve the objects panel, if possible to be organized by layers that is easier to identify. and select many q

18.improve the selection mode to be able to do the following: you can now rectangle select multiple object but you cannot rectangle deselect multiple objects from this selected objects.

19.add a button to mirror object. this is very helpful when you compose elements like ppeople to create a convinving scenario and vegetation to give variety with less objects

20. cosmos still a bit unstable. often objects that i had spend lot of time to distribute like people when i reopen vantage are lost , some times placed totally out of scale...
            Last edited by digital_technologies; 26-10-2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Hi digital_technologies,

14, light, materials and objects tabs at some point shrinked and each time I have to click on them to extend their parameters and when i click back to viewport the shrink back to buttons.
              Probably you double clicked on the tabs. If you hover over them a tooltip pops up "Double click to pin/unpin". Double click again on the hidden tabs to pin(make constantly visible) them.

when working on heavy scenes frame rate drops significantly, so i need to lower parametres of gi reflections and refraction parameters. Make one button that enables disables these two states of parameters , bad to navigate and work on the scene and good when wnat to finalize your shots.
              We have it in the TO DO list to add a quality preset to quickly switch between a "draft" or "high quality" to optimize performance but no ETA at the moment.

16. what does snap do. In my case has no difference when enabled
              You have to right-click on the "Snap" button to open the snap settings. Please check the docs here: Snap dialog menu

18.improve the selection mode to be able to do the following: you can now rectangle select multiple object but you cannot rectangle deselect multiple objects from this selected objects.
              Rectangle deselection is possible. Use Alt+ Left click in 3ds Max navigation type, Ctrl+Left/Shift+Left click in Maya navigation type or Shift+Left clickin SketchUp navigation. Navigation types can be set from Edit>Mouse and Key shortcuts.

19.add a button to mirror object. this is very helpful when you compose elements like ppeople to create a convinving scenario and vegetation to give variety with less objects
              As a workaround for this you can give a -1 scale in the X axis for example and that will flip your selection. You can use the Scale type-in dialog. Please check the docs: Transforms Dialog menu

20. cosmos still a bit unstable. often objects that i had spend lot of time to distribute like people when i reopen vantage are lost , some times placed totally out of scale...
              Has this happened with vantage file saved with the 1.5.2 version or with a previously saved .vantage file with an older versions of Vantage? Because we fixed a couple of issues regarding this and it would be great if you could give us a reproduction steps to test it at our side.

Best regards,
              Alexander
              Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

• Added new Live Link animation render button in 3ds Max
                Can you please show us how we can enable live link animation. I tried to find but no clue at all.
                thanks a lot

Comment

We are going to release a feature video soon. Have you checked the docs page: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...antage+Script? We are going to update the docs as well with more examples and a workflow video.

Best regards,
                  Alexander
                  Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

I will try to answer the questions which weren't answered before:

1.Can you please implement back the possibility to clone , geometry inside Vantage.
                    This is planned, yes. Though it's not high priority (we have a bunch of other things to add as well, as you could imagine). We removed it because it wasn't a finished feature, it was more like a proof of concept.

7.Add support inside vantage of space mouse 3d connexion. This will give amazing skills to direct a film inside Vantage.
                    This has been requested on the forum several times and we plan to start development on it soon.

9. add in vantage animation bar the possibility to animate sun altitue azimuth. That will create amazing shots for architecture.
                    > 11.make it possilbe in the animation timeline to keyframe position, translation , rotation scale of objects. this way we can animate architectural elements that will improve immensively films of architecture.
                    These features are also on our TODO list but a bit further down the road. Is using 3ds Max and live link animation rendering a valid alternative?

10. Make it possible to save state of ligthing the way you save cameras and drag and drop in the animation timeline the diffrerent states of these light scenarios
                    This is a popular request and it is being implemented now. Can't say when exactly it will be available.

12. when importing an animated object in vantage by drag drop into vantage scene make it possible to move this object in your scene.
                    Could you elaborate? What is the file format of this object? How would you want to move it? Currently any changes to the object's position are overriden when the animation is played. Do you expect the two to somehow get combined?

17. Improve the objects panel, if possible to be organized by layers that is easier to identify. and select many
                    We plan to improve the object list, yes. What were you trying to say after "And select many..."?
                    Nikola Goranov
                    Chaos Developer

Comment

Hello,
                      • Added new Live Link animation render button in 3ds Max
                      Can you please show us how we can enable live link animation. I tried to find but no clue at all.
                      thanks a lot
                      We have published an overview video which demonstrates the workflow for rendering animations via Live Link in 3ds Max:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhOQ...xp8j88s6eDCEr4

Let us know if you have additional questions, please.

Best regards,
                      Simeon

Comment

Working...
                      X