No announcement yet.

Plans for a Stand-Alone Vantage Player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans for a Stand-Alone Vantage Player?

When I finally got around to trying this latest Vantage iteration, I have to say my jaw just about hit the floor that it could look this good in real-time! I've been hearing that amazing VR is "right around the corner!!!" for at least 25 years, and every single time it comes off looking like a low-res video game (at best). Vantage actually gave me something to be excited about! So first off: Kudos to the team that's working on this.

For my business, I mostly generate mechanical/product visualizations (products with an excess of 5000 parts and 10-20 million polygons are not at all uncommon) along with huge architectural renderings. So far, no real-time 3D VR export formats have ever come close to being able to handle the level of detail my customers would want to actually use. Vantage told me that it will be possible in the near future. But the big barrier right now of course is this: It only works if you have full VRay license. That'd be OK for a few high-level presenters, but if a company wanted to deploy this content to hundreds of salespeople (as an example) they'd want something simpler, like a stand-alone Vantage Player. It wouldn't have to be free at all, just less than a full VRay licensed installation with a simpler means of navigation.

So there's my Wish: A Vanatage Stand-Alone Player

Along with that: A means of testing a scene's "load" on the GPU, CPU and RAM.
    What I mean by this is way to evaluate what the minimum spec. a PC or device would need in order to properly show a large and complex Vantage scene. Ideally, I am imagining something like a virtual machine test, which developers routinely use to test out a new app or product. You could set the virtual machine to only use 4 CPU cores for example, or only use 2 or 4 GB of RAM and dial down the GPU resources. This sounds a little more complicated, but I have to imagine that your developers might already use some tools like this when you're building VRay.
    Doug
    www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com/

Hi. Vantage has a separate license. You only need a V-Ray license if you want to export vrscene files (from 3ds Max or some other host) or to run Live Link. You could use pre-made vrscenes without a V-Ray license. We also have experimental support for a few other popular formats since version 1.6.0.

When you're talking about using Vantage for VR, do you mean real-time VR or just rendering stills you could later view in VR? We can do the latter now, but real-time VR has some really heavy requirements for FPS, latency, resolution, etc. It is not quite clear when this will become viable.

Regarding specs evaluation, if I understand correctly you're asking for a test that shows you the hardware requirements for a specific scene without actually loading and rendering it? Because otherwise you would just open it and check your system load. There are some caveats - load depends on resolution, render features in use, and there is a peak in CPU/GPU memory usage while loading the scene - higher than the usage once the scene is fully loaded.
    Nikola Goranov
    Chaos Developer

Comment

Working...
    X