button to send vrscene saved incrementaly in 3ds max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• button to send vrscene saved incrementaly in 3ds max

Very often we work in 3ds max and we want to render in Vantage standalone, different versions of the scene. The one click button to export vrscene (animated or not) and send to vantage is very convenient, but it saves vrscene with the name of the 3ds max file.
    This way when you want to send a second version of the scene, it overwrites the previous.
    Can you please add one button (an extra button) to send with vrscene saved incrementaly each time.

Hi, thanks for posting. You could use the save as command in Vantage. Also you have a save as command in 3ds Max and if you change the name this will change the vrscene name as well.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Vladimir,
      Actually this request is for a more intuitive workflow. There is always the solution of exporting vrscene, but it is more time consuming when you need to export again and again.
      saving max files incrementally is not an intuitive solution, cuase of file size, and time it takes to save.
      Saving vantage files incrementaly in vantage is very nice, but is a different thing, because it does not saave the vrscene, just the vantage configuration.
      Actually I can describe here what would be a nice workflow:
      You have a 3ds max complicated scene, with animated people, anima 4d, animated objects, animated trees, or different scenarios of your architecture. Such complicated files makes render animation live link, slow (because of 3ds max, each frame after it renders it takes several seconds to move to next frame)
      For this reason you want to select parts of your scene fast export with one click button and open in vantage so that you render in vantage standalone which is much faster cuase of no inbetween frames loading delay.
      For this scenario one button to export with unique name and open in vantage will be fantastic. Another amazing one click button could be export selected objects save incrementaly and send to vantage ( and then in vantage merge with the scene that is open)

Comment

Hi, we have the request about "export selected" logged in our system I will add your thread to it.

I still don't understand the benefit in your other idea with the incremental naming option. Why it matters if the vrscene gets overwritten?
        You have the 3ds Max file as your main place where you keep the scene. I mean you want to have different vrscenes and then what, load them trough Vantage?

Comment

Hi Vladimir
          Thanks a lot for your consideration on my topic,
          The main idea is that some times from one max scene you can export several vrscenes, just because in this max scene you have several scenarios that you want to render animated separately.
          If for instance i reveal one scenario i export it to vantage, I edit it in vantage and render animation in vantage. then i reveal in max the next scenario,and export it in vantage with the same name as vrscene (overwrite vrscene), then my previous job will be lost if i want to go back and change somehting later. ( cause the vrscene will have been replaced, overwritten by that other vrscene scenario,)
          if i have the option to one click send to vantage with different naming (incremental) I could have a nice workflow between one max scene from where I can extract several animation scenarios, and multiple vrscenes, vantage files where I edit and render these animations
          hope now is more clear
          THnaks a lot

Comment

I think what you need is not a new button but rather the existing button should open a dialog if the default named vrscene already exists, so you can give it another name or confirm that you want to overwrite it. IMO your suggestion has two downsides - needs one more button (there are already so many toolbar buttons) and autogenerated names like scene2 scene3 etc. are meaningless and it would be hard to track what each one holds (it takes time to load and see).
            Nikola Goranov
            Chaos Developer

Comment

reveal in max the next scenario,and export it in vantage with the same name as vrscene (overwrite vrscene), then my previous job will be lost if I want to go back and change somehting later. ( cause the vrscene will have been replaced, overwritten by that other vrscene scenario,)
              Nothing will be lost since you have your main 3ds Max scene. You could export the different scene states that you need to vrscenes using the vrscene exporter and continue in Vantage. If we add dialog for renaming and so on it won't get much more straight forward than the vrscene exporter.

Comment

Working...
              X