Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrict licensing to dongle OR online

Hey there,

we have two licenses and recently made the switch to online for one of them.
    Reason for this was mainly, so we could use one for home office use.
    And we wanted to keep the dongle, so we would have stable licensing in case internet goes down and so we don´t have to rely on it for the farm.

But now we´re having the following issue:

The main license workstation with the dongle plugged in keeps grabbing the online license, so we have to close it and start up the other workstation, because we disabled the access to the dongle for the second workstation.

As I´ve read up more on license borrowing I´m thinking it might be the smarter move to completely switch to online licensing, with the auto renewal checked it might be ok for the farm and we would be more flexible.

Also I had of course several occasions where the main workstation with the dongle crashed and then of course the farm would not have access to licensing anymore.

But until we decide on that - is there a way to prevent the workstation with the dongle to grab the online license?

Hello,

Please try the following:
    1. Disable the Online licensing on the workstation that has the dongle.
    2. Make sure that the primary license server is set to "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" on both workstations. Also please make sure that there are no alternative license server addresses set:
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...cense+Settings

This way the workstation with the dongle will have access only to the licenses on the dongle and the workstation with Online licensing only to the online licenses.

Migrating all the licenses to the Online licensing system will allow you to "borrow" some of them on one of the workstations in your office.

In case you are experiencing crashes and downtime regularly on the workstation with the licenses please consider moving the licenses (dongle) on another computer, preferably a server which does not go offline often. Also the licensing could be configured on one of the render nodes.

If you have stable internet connection you can use the Online licensing without borrowing which will allow you configure two or three license servers for your office. When they are all online they will have access to the shared licenses pool and if one of the license servers is down V-Ray will try to obtain the licenses from the other server. Please check here for more information:
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...n-multipleLics

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up! I remember having had trouble with the localhost settings in the past, so I got used to setting the static IP instead.
      I´ll try this out and report back if I am having issues. In the long run we´ll probably migrate to online completely, its always scary to change a running (although occasionally crashing) system...

Comment

Working...
      X