V-Ray Next License Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray Next License Purchase

I am in the lighting industry and have been using Mental Ray for the Lighting Analysis element. Since NVIDA is no longer producing Mental Ray I am now considering using V-Ray Next for its analysis.
    My questions is if i buy the Perpetual License vs an Annual License, what does that entail? Does the perpetual come with perpetual upgrades?

Hello,

Both the Annual and Perpetual licenses come with updates for the current major version of V-Ray (e.g. if you have a V-Ray Next license you can use it with any version of V-Ray 4.XX), but an upgrade is still needed on a new major release.
    Ivaylo Marinov

QA Engineer Chaos Cloud

Chaos Group

Comment

Thank you for the response.
      How often is there a "Major Version" update? I'm leaning toward purchasing the Perpetual. Is that the more cost effective route?

Comment

There are no set release dates for this. As a reference, V-Ray 3 for 3ds Max was released in February 2014 and V-Ray Next for 3ds Max was released in May 2018.
        Ivaylo Marinov

QA Engineer Chaos Cloud

Chaos Group

Comment

You're going to get a hell of a lot of value and improvements for your single license purchase judging by the big things chaos have added in since 2006

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am excited to start using V-Ray. I've been using Mental Ray and have been trying to get my work to switch over to V-ray and now that they have the Lighting Analysis they are giving me the go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by CMP_Design View Post
              Thank you for the response.
              How often is there a "Major Version" update? I'm leaning toward purchasing the Perpetual. Is that the more cost effective route?
              Well, a perpetual license will have a higher entry level than a rental, but then is followed by a no-thoughts season lasting a few years and "service packs".
              Rental could be useful to do a one-off job, to raise the number of render nodes for a short period, and so on, but on the long run is bound to cost one more.

Think of it as a "season pass", versus a "pay per view".
              There is the very important catch, here, of perpetual getting a discount on major version upgrade, thereby extending the "season pass" for another period at a fraction of the cost.
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

If I purchase V-Ray and change machines, Is it transferable? We use multiple seats for 3ds Max. Is there a network license that will allow me to use V-Ray on our other seats of 3ds Max?

Comment

Hello,

Yes, the licenses are floating which means that they are not tied to a particular machine. In case you go with the online licensing it is enough to activate it on the computers that you want to use V-Ray. The first computer that starts 3ds Max with V-Ray will engage the license.
                  It is also possible to install the Chaos Group License Server on a dedicated computer (preferably server) and it will provide licenses to all the workstations/render nodes in your local network. Licenses are engaged per machine.

Please check the documentation here. There are examples of different ways to deploy the license server depending on your needs:
                  https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...d+Installation

Comment

Working...
                  X