Licensing Questions for Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing Questions for Education

In addition to being a commercial client with my own commercial account, I am also faculty at a college. I am looking to budget for 30 seats of V-Ray, for 3dsMax and Revit- and possibly SketchUp as well for deployment in August of this year. So I have some questions:

1. Are V-Ray licenses floating? If we have 30 seats, can they be used in any connected lab location so long as we only have 30 seats running at once from any of our 60 lab computers?
    2. Are each license independent from the others. If I have 30 seats of 3 different titles, can they be run on 90 different computers so long as they are only running a total of 30 different instances of each of the three titles?
    3. Can licenses that have been checked-out- and not returned by a certain time or left open, be recalled by a system administrator?
    4. Are all machines that have a full educational license for V-Ray capable of acting as a render node for distributed rendering?
    5. Is it possible to have a local license server instead of the internet network for security and profile purposes?

Thanks!
    Robert

Hello,
    1. Yes the licenses could be obtained over the local network. All machines should be in one local network and visible for each other.
    2. If for example you have 30 licenses for V-Ray for Revit you can install V-Ray on 90 machines if you want but you won`t be able to use V-Ray on more than 30 machines simultaneously.
    3. Obtained licenses that are currently in use can`t be revoked from the license server.
    4. Yes all machines that have V-Ray render node EDU licenses will be able to participate in distributed rendering. Important thing is that they all should be EDU licenses. You can`t use ADV and EDU render node licenses together in distributed rendering.
    5. There is a borrowing option for offline use of the licenses. (https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...or+Offline+Use)
    Kostadin Botev

Technical Support Representative
    Contact Support

Chaos

Comment

Kostadin,

Thank you for your quick response. I'll be asking our administration for a budget amount to purchase 30 seats for use in Revit and 3dsMax for student and instructor use in our labs. I don't expect there to ever be two classes simultaneously who might need to access it at any time, so I think that will work between our three labs pretty well.

Comment

Working...
      X