Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use V-Ray? The end of perpetual licenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use V-Ray? The end of perpetual licenses?

After answering Chaosgroup last questions it seems that perpetual licenses are going to disappear.

Any idea of whats gonna happen with those like me who purchased a perpetaul license and have been upgrading... Quite worried also about collection mode and referenced prices asked...

Too many questions, too many worries

Hello, it will be best if you open a ticket with your questions and my colleagues from the Sales will be able to assist:
    https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    Kostadin Botev

Technical Support Representative
    Contact Support

Chaos

Comment

15 minute survey??????????????????????????

(couldn't do it - too long).
      Jez

------------------------------------
      3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
      Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
      ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Just a quote from sales (https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...e-last-6-years) 2 years ago:

"...Still, we understand that many of our freelancer customers prefer to use perpetual licenses, this is why we have decided to avoid at all costs discontinuing them in the future..."
        Last edited by trick; 29-04-2022, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Some interesting questions in that survey. It’s worth doing for a bit of insight as to where things might be heading.

I don’t have a personal licence anymore but I work with VRay everyday at studios. It would be a shame to see perpetual licences go away but if that’s the case and subscription is the way forward then I think yearly prices need to be much more competitive. VRay is 2x the price of Redshift for an annual subscription. I don’t expect Chaos to cut their profits by 50% but perhaps a freelance or indie licence would be a solution to offer a more reasonable price for some of us.

Cheers
          Freelance 3D Generalist
          www.maxwood.co.uk

Comment

I don't like subscription license only idea at all. At the end you don't own the software, and when you don't want to pay anymore you'are left with nothing. With perpetual if i don't want to update - i don't update. But still - i can use it any time i want.

Comment

I've lost this survey.
              I'm asking to kostadin.botev. Is it possible to partecipate again?

Comment

I'm not sure how that will work, its best if you open a support ticket so my colleagues from the Customer excellence team could help you with that.
                https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
                Kostadin Botev

Technical Support Representative
                Contact Support

Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by nachetz_dominguezadamerocandio View Post
                  After answering Chaosgroup last questions it seems that perpetual licenses are going to disappear.
                  What?! If they disappear I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixel_Domain View Post
                    I don't like subscription license only idea at all. At the end you don't own the software, and when you don't want to pay anymore you'are left with nothing. With perpetual if i don't want to update - i don't update. But still - i can use it any time i want.
                    More the point of it hits the fan like Covid and you are stuck without work for months you can keep using your software and maintain your skills with it. With subscription, if your work dries up you are fubar. Also the classic comment they use when switching is that they will have steady revenue to better maintain and improve the software. In practice it leads to far less as they no longer need to lure you to upgrade.

Comment

Perpetual licenses don't dissapear, just rise 75% it's price:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-07-08_09-53.png
Views:	487
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1153498

Comment

Originally posted by nachetz_dominguezadamerocandio View Post
                        Perpetual licenses don't dissapear, just rise 75% it's price:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-07-08_09-53.png
Views:	487
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1153498
                        no, they disappeared.
                        This is only for upgrade , not for a new customer.

if updates to v-ray makes them faster and more efficient, with inflation i can understand rising prices. but as time and again we've seen - any company going sub only stops doing any meaningful updates.
                        just see what are the changes and comparisons and decide whenever or not you want to upgrade, or not.
                        I will wait with my upgrade to Maya, because they said they wanted to avoid sub only in the past - effectivley they are going full scorched earth on freelancers.

Comment

Working...
                        X