Backup License Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup License Server

So the client license settings on workstations and render nodes have a place for three license servers. How can we setup a backup license server? Does this work if we use the Use Licenses Offline option?

Ideally we would have two local license servers, and they both have access to the same offline licenses such that if one local license server goes down the clients contact the second local license server, AND no constant internet connection is required because we have those licenses set for offline use.(Internet only required to periodically re-update the offline licenses).

Does this work like this with two local servers? If not, what method achieves both goals of local redundancy and no constant internet connection required? (Obviously requiring a constant internet connection is out of the question because you are putting your entire organization at the mercy of one connection. Even though we have a backup net connection there is nothing to do if a backhoe cuts the lines running the the building, or a power outage cuts power to both network provider's line amplifiers, etc..)

Is it safe and OK to login in to Online Licensing from two local license servers simultaneously? Will this cause problems? I assume this is how you get a backup license server, but then what to do about borrowing licenses for offline use?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Joelaff; 26-08-2022, 03:24 PM.

Hmmm.. It seems I found the docs for this. Sadly, what we need seems to not be an option (italics mine)

Two-Machine Setup

In a case where there are only a couple of machines, such as users with a workstation and a laptop, it's best to install and activate the License Server on both machines.
    Please note that any borrowed licenses will be available only on the License Server from which they were borrowed. Also, any dongle licenses require that the dongle be attached to the same license server.

That pretty much defeats the purpose of license server redundancy! We am certainly not willing to accept the risk of a lack internet connection bringing down our entire organization. That's absurd. So why can't the two license servers share the borrowed licenses? I can't believe we are the only organization to ask for this.

Comment

Hello,

The Chaos license server requires an uninterrupted internet connection in order to operate properly. Borrowed licenses are reserved on the machine that borrowed them and cannot be shared with a different server. If you anticipate internet connection interruption - you can borrow your licenses for offline use on the server machine.
      The Chaos license server has a built in auto-borrow function that will allow you to use your licenses for several hours even if your connection drops, provided that you were working during the outage.
      Nikolay Simeonov

Technical Support Representative
      support@chaosgroup.com

Chaos Group

Comment

There should be a way to have licenses always borrowed (like there is now with the auto-renew), but to share those borrowed licenses with two or more license servers for redundancy. The always -on internet connection is a gamble nobody would take if they knew about it, and having experienced a license server failure recently (failing UPS killed the license server halting an overnight render leading to nearly missing a deadline) I think a single license server is a bad plan as well, and not a wise business risk when it's so easy to add a second license server in a VM.

I think there is a real need for license server redundancy. But the way it works now is no redundancy at all since the redundancy it only works with a constant internet connection.

I bet that the big players have some method provided by Chaos where they have multiple redundant license servers that do not require an always on internet connection. (Presumably with the expert mode "Online service URL" pointing to a local server with some certificates on it.) Perhaps us boutique shops could have something like this too.

Please think about how we could get this to happen. Thanks.
        Last edited by Joelaff; 31-08-2022, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X