Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Requirements Help Please

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am a self taught 3dstudio and Mray user, so please be patient with me.

Since my company has moved to 3Dstudio 2018, we have learned that render farming using backburner with an Mray engine is now no longer possible unless additional licenses are purchased. We recently found out that those licenses (to the best of our understanding) are no longer being sold. So we are exploring our options that will have the least amount of impact on our current and future workflows.

We currently run 6 machines, each with a fully licensed copy of Autodesk Design suite 2016 and 2018. We've been using Mray as our engine for decades and never had issue with it. We also use Archvision RPC content (which is not compatible with Arnold).

How many licenses do we need to purchase for one primary machine and 5 satellites?
    Is Vray compatible with Archvision RPC content?
    If necessary, Is there a conversion process for existing mray sceens to vray?
    Can my mray materials be converted to vray? (if necessary)

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

In case you have one workstation on which you will work with 3ds Max and V-Ray you will need 1x V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Workstation license (it will work with both 3ds Max 2016 and 201
    Each render node computer (satelite) used for rendering will require a V-Ray 3.0 Render node license. In case you have 5x render node you will need 5x V-Ray 3.0 Render node licenses in addition to the V-Ray 3.0 Workstation license.
    Please check the V-Ray for 3ds Max product page on our website: https://www.chaosgroup.com/vray/3ds-max

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Jole View Post
      Is Vray compatible with Archvision RPC content?
      If necessary, Is there a conversion process for existing mray sceens to vray?
      Can my mray materials be converted to vray? (if necessary)
      V-Ray is compatible with Archvision RPC.
      V-Ray is equipped with some basic conversion tools but it supports mainly 3dsMax native features so I don't think it will be useful for MRay scenes.
      Some of the MRay materials like Arch&Design should be rendered fine with V-Ray, others probably won't.
      Autodesk introduced a scene conversion utility in 3dsMax 2018 which is also supported by V-Ray, you can use that utility to convert existing MRay materials to V-Ray ones.
      https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...B7F8A-htm.html
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by mihail_kuzev View Post
        Hello,
        ... you will need 1x V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Workstation license (it will work with both 3ds Max 2016 and 201
        Why 3.0 ? Is version 3.6 for 2018 only or will 3.6 work with 2016 as well?

Thank you.

Comment

Hello,

V-Ray 3.6 for 3ds Max has builds for 3ds Max 2013 to 2018 and they will all work with the V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max license.
          Also previous versions of V-Ray for 3ds Max (for example 2.50.L30, 3.30, 3.40) will work with the V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max License.

Comment

Working...
          X