Online licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Aristas,

"we work in a very restrictve enterprise environment" - there are a few tihing to consider:

- you'd need a reliable Internet connection to the license server. There's an option to "borrow" licenses so that they'll be available even if your license server temporary has no Internet connection, but nevertheless - you'd have to connect at least once every two weeks, otherwise the borrowed licenses will expire (can be set to renew automatically.)

- The license server uses https (port 443) for communication over Internet and this should be allowed through your Firewall.

- The license server exchange certificates with our backend (similar to online banking). There are some proxies that change certificate that the OLS is exchanging with our central license server, and that's not a supported behavior for security reasons. If you use such proxy - an exception should be added.

- The license server supports only "Simple" proxy authentication - if your client uses a proxy to connect to internet with another authentication type (MS Active Directory authentication or something else) the license server will not support it.

1. From what I understand, our ~12 licenses are all under 1 user (who did the purchasing). If I wanted to connect from home, Would I need this user's login information? - yes, unless you have a VPN to the office network, allowing you to access the license server there.

2. Is there any way to have separate user accounts for EACH user that are able to access our licenses? I don't think our purchasing department will give us access to that user info and sharing user ids is discouraged. - yes, you can split the licenses between different accounts.

3. Based on your last reply, Ivan, does that mean I would need to manually deactivate my office machine if I wanted to work from home (as in, before I left for the day)? - if you've borrowed the license to be used offline - you'll need to release the license. If you're obtaining the license over the Internet - there's no need to do anything additionally.

4. Is there any way to deactivate a machine through the user account/license server interface? (for example: If I can't make it into the office one day and was not able to deactivate my vray on my office workstation ahead of time). If you've borrowed licenses on the machine you should release them from the same machine they're borrowed on. To release them remotely - you'd need access to your office machine, log in and release from there.

If you deside to migrate and split the licenses it's best to test online licensing before that - you can get a trial for some product from our site and try activating. If you have problems with activating - send us a mail at support@chaosgroup.com
    Ivan Slavchev

SysOps

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
    X