Using a license on multiple workstations - remote deactivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a license on multiple workstations - remote deactivation

The licensing system combined with new WFH company policies has created a problem where a license may need to be shared between multiple workstations at the office, at home or on a laptop. In theory, this should work fine, just remember to log out of the other workstations and you're clear to use on your chosen machine but in practice, it's very tricky. Even after logging out of the Vray on other stations, if you remember to do it, the license sometimes gets tied up somehow, locking you out. This seems to happen every time I have a big deadline coincidentally. If there was a simple remote deactivation button this problem could be fixed, and users could log out of all other machines themselves without getting support involved to do it for them, which is what I've been resorting to in a mad scramble far too often.

Is this something we can look forward to in a future update or is there another better solution to the problem that isn't manually visiting each workstation to log out?
    Last edited by elliot_fu; 03-02-2023, 01:04 PM.

This would be nice, or at least some clear step to take that we know will force the immediate release of a license. I have had render nodes hog a license for a bit (1-10 mins maybe) after they are done, likewise have seen Phoenix Simulation license still held even after the sim is finished or cancelled. We use the linux license server with licenses auto-borrowed (i.e. not Chaos servers when this issue occurs).

If you want to be paranoid about people remotely cancelling licenses allowing the original node using the license to keep using it for a while then you could at least make a tool to run locally that releases the license(s) back to the server.

Comment

Working...
    X