PDPlayer to be discontinued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDPlayer to be discontinued?

I've received the invite to demo Chaos Player but had a couple of questions. Does this mean PDPlayer is to be discontinued and phased out, will this affect my ability to continue using it in the future in any way?

I'm all for innovation, glancing at the new Chaos Player, it looks great, however not to rain on the parade but I have very little, as in zero interest in subscriptions for software, I know this is the shift in the entire software industry but as Adobe has shown, it's does not benefit the user other than lighter pockets. Sadly, I saw there was no perpetual license available for Chaos Player and quickly lost interest to even install and try out after downloading.

If there will be a perpetual license option I will almost certainly buy a license for the new player, unfortunately it's a pass if it's ultimately subscription only as it's not much of a value for a sequence player even if it's the mother of all sequence players.Why not include the new player with V-Ray licenses as yet another extreme value added benefit of going with Chaos over other solutions... yes, I have very unconventional and unpopular thoughts regarding revenue streams.

p.s.I love Chaos products but I do not love subscriptions whatsoever!

Hey there and thanks for reaching out.

Although Chaos Player is Pdplayer’s successor, it is a completely new product developed and owned by Chaos and it comes with a separate license. So you can keep your existing Pdplayer license and continue using it if you wish to do so. Customer support for Pdplayer will continue until January 2023, but there won't be any updates to the product. Chaos Player is part of the Chaos ecosystem and it will be actively developed. The first release adds new features like export to MP4 and A/B wipes. We have also improved the interface and color precision, among other things. We plan to keep pushing new features and improvements for future updates and we provide full maintenance and customer support with each Chaos Player license.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Is no doubt amazing and great new features! When I recall how few updates over the years, and the time between those updates PDPplayer had, a yearly subscription is not super desirable for an indie artist's budget to justify for a sequence utility, considering PDPlayer was a lovely luxury I splurged on for myself when I bought my license.

I'm still keeping hope alive that a perpetual license option might be considered in the future. Thank you for the reply!

Comment

Chaos Player will return to VFB2?

Comment

Originally posted by DmitriiP View Post
          Chaos Player will return to VFB2?
          I'm curious if you found this useful in the past. Can you explain how this is helpful?
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
          X