License Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Transfer

I'm interested in Pdplayer but I'm put off some of the licensing information on this page:

http://www.pdplayer.com/pricing_and_licensing.html

Specifically - "It is not possible to transfer a license from one machine to another."

Does this really mean that if I purchase a node locked license I can then never transfer it to another machine? Say I buy a new workstation, I have to purchase a new license?

I can understand you wanting to put off people from trying to run on multiple machines, but permanently locking your software to a single machine seems untenable. As I understand it a floating license would also have the same problem (say the license server machine dies and has to be replaced).

Thanks,

Simon

Hello Simon,

Let me try to clarify our licensing policy for you.

Since the licenses are locked to the machine once a license has been issued for a machine, it is no longer possible to revoke it or move it to another machine. For that reason we recommend using the floating licensing feature of Pdplayer. It allows the license/s to be placed on one server machine and then this machine can distribute them over the network. We strongly advise our customers who decide to use this feature to place the licenses on a machine that is going to be rarely replaced. When the license server is running on such a machine all other computers in the network will be able to take advantage of the licenses it is distributing.

This however doesn't mean that if something happens and you need to have the pdplayer license on another machine we will not issue a new key. In fact we have already had cases where licenses were "moved" to a new machine. In such cases it all comes down to mutual trust between our customers and us.

To summarize transferring of licenses is undesirable but possible as long as we have reasons to trust our clients.

If you have any additional questions you can either post here or contact us at pdplayer@chaosgroup.com.

Best Regards
    jimmy

Comment

Working...
    X