Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to shrik images while loading to save memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to shrik images while loading to save memory?

Hi,
    probably a silly question and I overlooked a menusettig, but how can I load a bunch of images which are 3k (3072x3072) in shrinked form (i.e. 33% or 25%) to save memory?
    At the moment, PDPlayer uses the memory to keep the full 3k image, resultig that my 8Gig Ram can only hold a few images for ramplaying.
    Is there a solution for it?

Thank you,
    Marco

Hi Marco,

You can use the cache resolution button to switch between full, half and quarter resolution.
    Attached Files
    Peter Dimov
    Asynthetic
    www.pdplayer.com

Comment

Thank you for your answer.
      Unfortunately it doesn't function as expected. While the cache has "room" for about 6-7 seconds for my sequence in 3k, I would expect to get 4 or 16 times more pictures into the cache with 50% or 25% resolution. But in 25%-mode, the cache can hold only 9 seconds of my sequence which is a little odd.
      (BTW: I have 8 Gigs Ram and set PDPlayer to 10% keep free Ram. The Taskmanager shows the usage of 7.19 Gigs of Ram).

Thanks again,
      Marco

Comment

Hi,

It's certainly odd that you'd be able to hold 6-7 seconds on full and only 9 seconds on quarter. We've never observed such behavior so far.

Does this also happen with other, smaller, sequences? Does clearing the cache after switching to quarter and then preloading again help? Does switching to quarter as the first thing after starting Pdplayer and then loading the sequence help?

What is the file format of your images? We'd like to investigate.
        Peter Dimov
        Asynthetic
        www.pdplayer.com

Comment

Thank you for your help.
          Here some results:
          -> Clean start of PDPlayer64 1.0.1.36. Free Ram displayed 89%, Zoom 100%, Cache Resolution 100%. Now loading imagesequence (rle-compressed targas without alpha-channel). Loading up to 10% free Ram reached and the cachedisplay is full and looses the first loaded frames. Frames in Cache: about 150 frames. - Closing PDPlayer
          -> Clean start of PDPlayer64 1.0.1.36. Free Ram displayed 89%,Zoom 100%, clicking 2 times to set the cacheresolution to "quarter". Now loading imagesequence. The image looks pixelated due to quartercache but 100% zoom. Cache fills up to 9% free Ram. Frames loaded: about 320 frames. - closing PDplayer.
          -> same as above, but with 25% zoom display before loading the images. Now I'm getting about 350 Frames.

To your questions:
          - tried it with a HD1080 frameseqeunce. Got about 1100 Frames with full res and about 1600 frames with quarter cache into it.
          - cacheclearing or switching to quarter does not chance anything.
          - tried jpgs too - same effect.

sorry - not much help for bugfinding. A simple sequence in 3072x3072 should do it for you to test.
          best wishes,
          marco

edit: just updated to 1.0.2.14 - same problem. I tried the 32bit version too: in full zoom and full cacheres, I get about 110 frames to cache. With 25% zoom and quarter cache it caches about 150 frames.
          Last edited by marcovn; 11-06-2009, 10:30 AM. Reason: Addons

Comment

Very odd. What is your operating system?

We've tested with 3K x 3K EXR files, 12GB RAM, Pdplayer 64 1.0.2 (but 1.0.1.36 should be the same in this regard), Windows XP 64. On full, the cache holds about 280 frames; on half, it holds about 1090; and on quarter, the whole 1500 frame sequence fits into memory. We'll try TGA and JPG too, but I suspect that they will display similar results.
            Peter Dimov
            Asynthetic
            www.pdplayer.com

Comment

Marco,

We've reproduced the issue with TGA and JPG files. I'll look into it. Thank you for the report.

Edit: It seems that if you apply a 3D LUT to the layer, the cache resolution works as intended. This of course has more of an amusement value and is not a proper workaround.
              Last edited by pdimov; 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM.
              Peter Dimov
              Asynthetic
              www.pdplayer.com

Comment

Marco,

Can you please try the newly posted 1.0.2.15 and confirm that it works for you?

Thanks again for your report.
                Peter Dimov
                Asynthetic
                www.pdplayer.com

Comment

Hey,
                  bug is fixed. Works great now!

A big thank you to you (and your team) who sits until 11 p.m. to fix my problem.
                  That's really impressive.

Best wishes,
                  Marco

Comment

Working...
                  X