What is the best format for Playback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best format for Playback?

Hi, I'm looking for the best format for playback.

I have a scene about 2 minutes long that I need to view at 1080p and 24fps. I'm scouring through different file formats looking for the best results with no luck as of yet. I was hoping that someone here could recommend something. Thanks.

Hi,

For disk playback, the best formats are DPX and uncompressed TGA (24 and 32 bit). (Depending on the contents of the images, you might want to try RLE TGA as well.)
    Peter Dimov
    Asynthetic
    www.pdplayer.com

Comment

Peter,

Are PNG files one of the best? I preview them and they are pretty quick, even over a gig network.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that. What I ended up doing was rendering out Jpegs at 75% quality. They were on average 800k which is about a tenth the size of the SGI and EXR files I had been exporting for finals, but again, this was just for viewing purposes. I will try those formats though so that I can get a version whos quality is closer to the final deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by m_hinks View Post
          Peter,

Are PNG files one of the best? I preview them and they are pretty quick, even over a gig network.
          I can't get more than 11 fps here on 1080p PNGs as the decompression taxes the CPU. Uncompressed SGI/TGA/DPX files are only limited by the disk speed (of which I don't have enough but it seems that a four disk RAID should be able to hit 24 fps). JPEGs (I tried 85% quality) seem to do fine though, so they may be the best (or only) option for a single drive playback.
          Peter Dimov
          Asynthetic
          www.pdplayer.com

Comment

New to this and I can not post a new thread?? but desperate to find out why Althlon computers are not suitable for V Ray
            Any help?? (Sorry for jumping on this Thread!!)

Comment

This is the PDPlayer forum, not the V-Ray one; to answer your question, V-Ray requires a SSE2-capable processor. Some older Athlon processors do not support SSE2.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
              X