Hide Underwater Liquid Mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hide Underwater Liquid Mesh

I have a scene where an object drops into a "tank" of water. My camera is underwater looking up. The simulation is done and good.

I am seeing some of the liquid around the object that drops in the water (which was a collision). This doesn't look so good, and I would like to remove that.

However, if I sue a clipper then due to the IOR of the water I see the clipper's refraction.

I can get rid of most of the objectionable part by using a volume to exclude displacement from the liquid surface around my dropped object. However, I'd really like to find a way to just hide all the liquid that is surrounding the dropped object.

Any way to do that? Thanks.

I am not using Underwater Goggles because this caused problems early on, and everything it setup without it. I instead use IOR < 1.0 for my air bubbles.

I found a partial solution that is sooo close!

So if I use Mesh mode for my fluid simulator instead of OceanMesh then I can apply modifiers to it (specifically Volume Select with a Mesh Object as the volume and Delete Mesh to delete the selected polys). This works in Mesh mode, but sadly I need Ocean Mesh mode.

So I am probably going to have to render a cleanup pass of the area in question in Mesh mode and combine them in post. Extra sad since this render is horribly slow.

Open to any other thoughts. Thanks.

Comment

Hmmm, how about a simulation-time solution - place a non-solid, non-renderable box underneath the ocean level and plug it into a source in volume brush mode with 100% brush effect?
      Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Thanks for the idea, but at t this point I have had about enough simulation of this scene

Was hoping for a render time solution. The two pass (with a region-- don't think GPU does render masks yet) will probably have to work.

Comment

It would be really cool if the Ocean Mesh mode could also support modifiers. Even with changing topology modifiers like volume select are quite useful.

Thanks.

Comment

Hmmm, doesn't it support modifiers right now? Can you describe your setup?

Comment

I can't test it right now because I have all hand on deck rendering something, but what I was seeing was that with Ocean Mesh mode the liquid would not render (hotfix 1 GPU) when I had modifiers applied. The liquid mesh simply did not show up at all in the render.

The modifiers I had were Volume Select (WSM) (using a mesh object as the selector in Face mode), and Delete Mesh (WSM) to delete the polygons inside the volume. When I switched the Liquid to Mesh mode it worked fine.

Comment

Huh, that's right! Reproduced it here as well - On V-Ray CPU all 3 modes render after vol select + delete mesh, but on V-Ray GPU only mesh and cap mesh render.

Will look into that, thanks for reporting! Otherwise, all modifiers are supposed to work on all the mesh modes - in theory the Phoenix mesh should be just like any other mesh you have in the viewport. When there are cases like this one though, they are likely to be bugs...

Comment

Alright, so neither does a simple Noise modifier show up on V-Ray GPU when rendering in Ocean Mesh mode...

Comment

Cool. I am glad it is a bug, because that means it is probably easy to fix (in this case-- not that bug means easy to fix, as a developer since 4 years old I get this!) But I bet this one is something simple given the criteria.

Really I am glad it is something that is supposed to work.

Thanks.

Comment

Oh yes, should be an easy one. Especially since Cap Mesh with mods DOES render, should be something stupid somewhere...

Comment

Yay, found it - the fix will be in tomorrow's Phoenix nightlies (no need for a newer V-Ray for this change).

Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Hey, just a heads up: one more fix went in today and will be in tomorrow's nigtlies: the ocean mesh was not cleared if it was already shown in the viewport preview when starting a V-Ray GPU rendering, so it had low mesh detail. When rendering a sequence this affected just the first frame. Or if the ocean was not shown in the mesh preview, there was no issue at all.

Comment

Interesting. That may be something I was seeing here. Would this apply to frames rendered one at a time with 3dsmaxcmd.exe ? Or does that GUI could never get called in that case?

Comment

Working...
                              X