Indoor Waterfall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor Waterfall

I'm trying to re-create the attached indoor waterfall and I've made some progress as you can see but the water is obviously not the same. I've built the structure so that water is emitted from a tube at the top of a funnel with a very large hole in the middle. I think one of my problems is the amount of water flowing out of the water ring, I've adjusted the outgoing velocity from 14' to 5' thinking this would slow the amount of water coming out of the water ring but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'd really like some advice here because I've been working on this for at least a day and I'm not getting anywhere.
    Attached Files
    Indoor Waterfall is a photograph by Robert Bociaga which was uploaded on February 21st, 2020. The photograph may be purchased as wall art, home decor, apparel, phone cases, greeting cards, and more. All products are produced on-demand and shipped worldwide within 2 - 3 business days.

Scale, motion blur, gravity - not sure in what proportion. Your water is holding too much inward velocity, not accelerating down anywhere near fast enough - where you have blobs of water separating out there would be just a vertical blur. The water falls just so much faster after the first meter or so.

Comment

Gravity is set to 1 and scene scale is 1, I'm using a vray physical camera with motion blur turned on. Any suggestions on what the settings should be?

Comment

Hey,

So about the scale - how big is the waterfall?

Using the scene scale option in the grid rollout you can tell Phoenix to treat the container as larger / smaller than it actually is when measured in Scene Units. This will influence the dynamics of the simulation, allowing to you achieve the correct behavior for your simulation without the need to tweak the size of the objects in your scene. Smaller scale will make the liquids move faster while bigger scale will make them move slower.

The other thing that happens in the reference image is that there are some splashes and mist so you can try and enable these in your settings as well. You can find more about the splashes here - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...plash+%7C+Mist

Georgi Zhekov
        Phoenix Product Manager
        Chaos

Comment

The hole the water falls through is 20' in diameter and the water falls about 35'.

Comment

Okay, looks about the large enough. So if you wish the liquid to flow slower you can increase the scene scale and lower it down to make it faster.
            Does it help when you add the splashes?
            Georgi Zhekov
            Phoenix Product Manager
            Chaos

Comment

Here is my suggestion on how to appraoch it. I have a torus that is emitting the liquid and a simple geo that resembles the waterfall collider.
              Then for the settings I have changed my scene scale to 0.5 so that the liquid falls a bit faster.

I have enabled the Splashes and Mist. For the splashes I have increased the threshold to 20 in order to leave some trail of liquid that will later will be converted to splashes.
              Then for the rendering I have created two Particle shaders one for the Splash and one for the Mist particles. After that I set the render mode for the Mist Particle shader to Fog. This way we get the smokey part of the waterfall.
              For the Splashes Particle Shader I have reduced the particle size to 0.5 as they looked a bit too big with their default value of 1.

Finally I enabled the motion blur from the V-Ray settings.

I hope this helps as a starting point. You can play around with the scene scale and the splash and mist settings.

The scene is for Max 2019, let me know if you need it for an older Max.

Cheers!

Attached Files
              Georgi Zhekov
              Phoenix Product Manager
              Chaos

Comment

Working...
              X