Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beach waves and phx. Some questions

I need some advice and some theory.

Once a year, the idea comes back to me that I know how to do beachwaves. But in Houdini I have already given up trying to do it, because I am too dumb for it. So I pick up a phoenix and start. It often happens that some bug comes up, I lose heart and get distracted by something else.

And now it's that moment again, when I open 3dmax and take the phoenix....

The first thing I encounter is boiling if the geo bottom is not as the phoenix likes, but more complex. But I already have a rough idea of how to get rid of that, so I won't focus on such trivia. Then I think back to pixar and their piper, where it's very interesting how they approached different problems. But if I understand how they made pebbles, how they made highres water out of lowres, then I have the deepest misunderstanding with the foam and its stacking. Pixar used some clever algorithm of their own and it came out very lovely. And now, when the water is no longer the main obstacle (I'll come back to it), there is a question with the generation of foam. The theory of how the foam is formed and what it is, I have already forgotten, do not swear. I am interested in how the phoenix simulates foam generation? I.e. should I expect some kind of simulation of reality or is it purely a set of algorithms made by eye?

In all the simulations on the Internet, of which there are an insane amount, the closeup beachwaves is completely absent. And those that are there - look terrible. Very strange, by the way, that even in the movies there's huge problems with beachwaves. If you look closely at f.e Frozen2 - you will be horrified. Moana is pretty bad, too.

Question - can I, using phoenix achieve a sane result just for the closeup beachwaves? Like in Piper. Is it possible to pick up the parameters so that they would mimic reality as much as possible or will I have to assemble something from a pile of particle systems and other magic...

Now back to the water. In Phoenix, the algorithm that builds a mesh of water leaves quite a lot of stepped artifacts. The only way to remove them is to create a grid with a very tiny voxel. I can load the grid in Houdini, trim as I like and stuff, but I wanted to ask about the possibility of one-button removal of such artifacts, because especially thin water are not easy to make smooth. I have such a dense grid of nodes built in Houdini that it gets scary.

Attached Files
    I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

Aah, Piper...that really was wonderful. I wonder how many man/woman-hours went into making that be achievable?

I remember years ago, when looking at fluid sims for doing something, there was not a way to mesh 'thin' fluids
    very well in really any DCC. So clearly a tricky thing to accomplish.
    I found, however, that there was one company that had developed a proprietary mesher solution which was superb.
    However, they were strictly POA (they offered it only as a discreet plugin service) so I have zero idea of what it cost
    and sadly, I cannot remember their name, to check whether they even exist any more.

I would guess that the reason it is so difficult is that it's....just difficult.

I would love to hear otherwise

My personal view would be that, much like general resolution of stuff, it just depends on the scale, so if you need something close to camera then it will need
    gazillions of particles to even begin to look correct. Such is the state of that particular (excuse pun) art.
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Working...
    X