Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beach wave Close-up workflow

Hi,

Im trying to create a highly detailed beach wave crashing into an invisble wall / box right at the camera, but im running into "problems" with the grid resolution.

The problem is that I need a fairly large grid size to simulate and show the incoming waves, its currently at 240M cells ( creating 2gb files per frame ) but because the camera is pretty close to one end its still not detailed enough.
    I tried to create a smaller sim box closer to the camera but the wave dynamics are far better if the sim box size is larger so waves have time to form.

Is there a better way to do this ? I dont really need the high resolution at the back with this fixed camera position, before I waste another night simulating; is it possible to create a cascade setup for something like this ? with a low res wave sim feeding a high res sim box close to the camera ? Any other best practices for something like this ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	122
Size:	4.02 MB
ID:	1183967Click image for larger version

Views:	105
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	1183971Click image for larger version

Views:	107
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	1183970
    Attached Files

Hmm, yes, I would also have suggested to try out a cascade setup. The way the camera is positioned, the simulator in the back might not even be visible, or even if it is, the connection between the two simulators should not be obvious.
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

I ran some test and it kinda works :]
      I lose some dynamics because sim 1 obviously doesnt respond to retreating waves from sim2 so for now I will probably stick to my earlier setup and try to crank the cells up a bit more.

still its a good setup to be aware of and way faster to sim, thanks.

Comment

Yess, the limitation of the cascade sim, is that the liquid (and foam and splash) only goes one way...
        Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Working...
        X