Missing Wavelet error when resimulating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Wavelet error when resimulating

I came in this morning to find that PHX had stopped resimulating with an error that said the wavelet channel was missing. However, there *is* a wavelet channel. I resimulated from the same source sequence the day before.

I "Restored" the simulation from the frame before when it stopped and PHX is happily simulating many frames passed where it stopped.

I did not change anything before I clicked restore. So something strange was happening where PHX thought it had no wavelet data when it really did. I suppose it is possible a server backup process had the file open or something. If the current frame's input for resimulation could not read the source file would it pop up the no wavelet data dialog box, or would it throw some other error, like unable to open file for reading?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Joelaff; 20-07-2013, 09:54 AM.

This is really strange. I had that same error two more times... and each time I can resume by restoring and it works fine.

Definitely something odd in the code path that checks to see if there is wavelet channel info. Why would it fails once and then work fine the second time? Both my source simulation and output simulation are on a network share.

I had resimulated this scene once with wavlet set to 2.5. It worked fine. This time I have wavelet set to 3.1 as the only change and I am running into these issues.

I also changed the wavelet cutoff from .002 to .0015 and the Conserv Quality from 2 to 3.
    Last edited by Joelaff; 20-07-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

restore and resimulate are different functions, are you sure that there is really wavelet channel? see the input panel to be sure that it is really present.
      restore needs the velocity channel only, resimulate (of the grid) needs the wavelet channel beside the velocity

Comment

I was using Restore with Resimulate active... Does that not restore the resimulation (continue it if you stopped it)?

Yes, the files definitely had velocty and wavelet/UVW channels. The same files worked fine earlier, and I got them to work again.

Not sure what the issue was. Possibly a network issue.

Comment

you mean the issue is not reproducible now?

Comment

I did finally get it to work, but it was with slightly different settings. Honestly, I am not sure. Under a tight deadline and had to just roll with it.

Comment

This behaviour is controlled by the "Temporary Channels" parameter. Since 3 channels are used for resimulation, we don't know if you used them only for resimulation or you want them to stay. Initially I was assuming that you will want to remove them all, but most people seems to want velocity to stay, and this was fixed in Maya, but we forget to do this in Max also .
              V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

I had noticed that, and I set the popup menu to make only UVW/Wavelet as temp. It keeps velocity OK, and the final resimulated files have velocity.

Is that what you mean? The default setting in Maya was changed to not make velocity a temp channel? Or is this some other internal change?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, just the default value is changed in Maya. And we must do this in 3ds Max. Otherwise people don't know this parameter or just forget it. It's always better to have something when you don't need it then the opposite .
                  V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Working...
                  X