Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weee My old sh*t is still capable Thx!
    I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

Comment

Installed new win10 1809 - and my results are 13minutes11seconds (3.27mvox). I turned off meltdown updates and still the same. Vraybench renders with the same speed. Interesting...
      CG Artist

Comment

Code:
        Dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2 … 2x 8 cores

Total Elapsed:
        Both Numa.   17m6s
        Single Numa: 23m15s
        EDIT: 14m6s on 3.12 -> indeed ~20% faster
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 3dwolf; 02-11-2018, 10:11 AM.
        Kind regards, Wolf S./K.
        www.faber-courtial.de

Comment

Hey,

Make sure to grab a latest nightly - we have some large test scenes here that are running 20-30% faster simulations now compared to 3.04

Cheers!
          Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Running the scene on Ryzen 2700x - 13m 51s

Using a nightly build from 20.10.2018
            Georgi Zhekov
            Phoenix Product Manager
            Chaos

Comment

Up for this already "old" topic.
              I'm simming on a Threadripper 2950X (DDR4 3200 and M2 drive). Previsouly I was simming on a Threadripper 1950X. I get small speed up.
              I'm still thinking about a new system, only for Sims, but I'm still wondering what would be a good/better system.
              Will test the AIDA benchmark just to compare with what we have above

Still no benchmark tool around for PhoenixFD ?
              www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Here is the AIDA benchmark on the Threadripper 2950X
                www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

I downloaded the Car Tire Burnout MAYA scene. Not sure it's comparable to the Max scene. Test was done:
                  1- In Maya with preview
                  2- In Maya without preview
                  3- Batch
                  Im quite surprised

Ryzen 2950X, DDR4 3200, M2 drive
                  www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

This example scene uses voxel preview which does quite well with auto reduction and should not lag the interface too much. If you put it into mesh or gpu preview mode where the auto reduction is not implemented, and forcefully use no reduction, it might make a bigger difference between the GUI and the batch simulation.
                    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Originally posted by Svetlin.Nikolov View Post
                      This example scene uses voxel preview which does quite well with auto reduction and should not lag the interface too much. If you put it into mesh or gpu preview mode where the auto reduction is not implemented, and forcefully use no reduction, it might make a bigger difference between the GUI and the batch simulation.
                      Thank you. That makes sense, off course.
                      I would still love to know how to get the best possible rig for simulation. I guess that a Threadripper system is not a bad choice when considering simulation AND rendering. A similar system would cost much more if Intel based.
                      Finally, the good choice is to multiply the simulation rigs to be able to launch several simulations over night
                      www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

I have 3 AMD TR 2990WX's and an i9-9900K, Ill download the scene and try it out on the intel and AMD in the next day or so...

-dave
                        Cheers,
                        -dave
                        ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Wow that was a bit of a shock. I had some time so I tried to load up the scene in the OP at the top. Until this afternoon I was actually thinking of switching back to the Threadripper as the 9900k just "felt" slower but apparently that is not the case. Ill drop in a screen shot of the two machines, I've also cropped the screenshots purely for size but not hiding anything and can post the full size shots if asked lol. I think I still have access to the nightlies, I might grab one of the latest of those as well and give it a shot too. Anyway here are the results:

Both machines are configured the same with Win 10 | 3dsmax 2020.1 | V-Ray 42001 - Update 2.1 (4.20.01.00001) | Phoenix 3.14.00 Build:20190427 | Forest 621

------------------------------------------------
                          i9-9900k - Finished in: 12m 22s
                          TR4 2990wx Finished in: 14m 06s

its not a huge difference just looking at it but if you have or do a lot of simulations then I think the Intel is the way to go.

Any word yet on how Phoenix does comparing the latest AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU's?

-dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoenix Bencmark 01 9900k vs 2990wx Test 001.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	1043145
                          Cheers,
                          -dave
                          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

yeah threadrippers are shithouse, even worse with 128gb RAM

Comment

Tho, in H, tr feels very solid and my xeon is slower, like it should theoretically. Don't know, why phx reacts so differently. Gonna test example liquids too a bit later today.
                              CG Artist

Comment

In phoenix the TR4's cant compete but in rendering its another story as my TR4's are substantially faster at rendering than my 9900k. Everything has its use and in most industries you can use two or more similar tools to do the same job, and generally one tool will be more efficient than the other at certain jobs...
                                Cheers,
                                -dave

Comment

Working...
                                X